Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buffalo strip steak - what to do?

Buffalo strip steak - what to do?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Today I took a flyer on a buffalo strip steak that weighs just under a pound and is 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" thick. Any suggestions for grilling? I like my beef rare to medium-rare. Thanks!

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Treat it exactly like a beef steak. That’s an awesome find Brad!
I take it you mean Bison meat. Bison is similar to beef and can be cooked to medium rare. It is a little leaner, so cook it quick and direct.

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Z! Yes, American bison meat...I seasoned it this morning with salt and pepper so it should be ready to go by dinner!

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bison is a regular meal at my place. I don't even bother marinating it - especially the strip and tenderloin.

Just sprinkle it with salt, pepper and EVOO, and grill it like a porterhouse.

Oh - and if you can ever get your hands on a bison tri-tip, it's even better (though a little bit tougher). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 am
BBQ Deputy

CBG, how does bison compare pricewise to beef around you? The steaks I bought were 50-60% higher than what I would've paid for Angus beef in the grocery store.

Anyhow, here's how it went.

I salted them in the morning and let them sit in the fridge all day.

Because of the way they were cut I was able to cook them on 4 sides and not just 2.

Don't overcook! Don't overcook! If there was a common theme in the advice I received this was it, and I did my best to comply.

Ordinarily I wouldn't slice a steak up before serving but the red color was just so awesome I had to. Mrs. Chicken boiled up a pot of noodles and we had a nice Monday night supper.
Image Image

I have to say that the flavor was very impressive, like high-quality beef, and not at all gamy. Then again, I don't know if the farm pastures the bison and then finishes them on grain to create the flavor that most Americans seem to prefer.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Awesome... Love the looks of the way that turned out. Different too, which I also like.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion