Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Salt Lick Cookbook: A Story of Land, Family, and Love

The Salt Lick Cookbook: A Story of Land, Family, and Love

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
smokeybeaver well done
well done

This is a relatively new cookbook that was published. The recipes are from a famous Hill Country restaurant. The book is sold at Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Salt-Lick-Cookbook-Family/dp/0292745516/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358915485&sr=8-4&keywords=salt+lick+barbecue

Does anybody own this book yet? What are your impressions? Has anybody here been to the restaurant?

Here is one recipe from the book for Tamale Pie:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/salt-lick-tamale-pie-recipe-14981880

Griffin well done
well done

I haven't seen the cookbook because I hardly ever go to bookstores anymore (Kindle user now).

I've been to The Salt Lick a few times. I will tell you that it is a bbq destination. You have to check the place out. The atmosphere and the location are amazing. Beautiful and a fun place to hang out. Their sauce is unique and pretty darn good. That's the positive. The cons are that the bbq is hit or miss. I'd stay away from the brisket. I can put out better brisket anyday of the week. And you know those pictures you see of the meat roasting over that open pit? Just for show. They fire their bbq in gas fired pits (although they do use wood for smoke) in the back and bring it out when its just about done and toss it on the open pit to wow their guests.

Bring your own beer. Its out in the middle of nowhere and takes awhile to get to the nearest place that sells. They do have an ATM on site, but I don't know how much of a fee they charge, so bring cash as well.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Smokeybeaver! I'll check it out the next time I wander through a Barnes & Noble.

I need to get busy reading the books I got for Christmas!

smokeybeaver well done
well done

Griffin, thanks for the info.

I hope to make the great Texas bbq tour someday.

Return to General Discussion