Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion all nighter making jerky

all nighter making jerky

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 am
chrish well done
well done

Last 20lb of meat, over 50% beef to deer meat, i was getting low on the hickory pellets so i made a mix of hickory and pecan pellets for cold smoking the meat, the smell of the smoke from the dehydrators has the house smelling wonderful. and if this mix of deer and beef is as good as it smells ill be making more beef jerky this summer, the total amount of meat used this year is close to 40lbs,

My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am
d_holck well done
well done

I scratched my monitor and could smell the jerky goodness! How low do you hold the temps for that? How long to does it take?

I tried my first experiment at jerky a couple weeks ago. It was OK but I was winging it.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice work, Chris! Looks like a few pieces would be perfect for a day of ice fishing!

How much weight is generally lost during the process? Since venison is naturally lean does it lose less weight than beef?

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 am
chrish well done
well done

50% or more is lost, the fat content will change the weight some but i wont know untill im done and weigh it all,
i had 4 4lb batches and a 3lb batch so 19 lbs total.

i use HiMountain jerky cure, i find it to have the best overall flavor and i mix the two below

i use a jerky gun to make the strips, then i use the AMNPS for the cold smoke and i only use enough pellets for a 3-4 hr smoke then 3 hrs in the dehydrator

My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks awesome! I made a lot of jerky too over the holidays.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion