Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buttermilk chicken

Buttermilk chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm
Rib-O-Lator medium-rare
medium-rare

I marinated some drums in buttermilk overnight. some i rolled in everglades
pre-seasoned breading, some i rinsed and seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning, and the rest i cooked with just the buttermilk coating.

i cooked on the rol for about 45min at 325 and then introduced them to my belly.

i wasn't sure how the breaded ones would turn out put they came out crunchy and the seasoning was tasty.

the montreal chicken is always good and the buttermilk ones had a nice crispy texture to the skin and tasted good but tasted better after a little salt.

chicken coated with buttermilk

Everglades breading

Drums with Montreal steak seasoning

Just buttermilk

with breading
Bob
206-999-0962
www.ribolator.com

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice chicken, Bob - I'd say you went 3-for-3!

I've always been a little hesitant about putting breaded items on the grill but since with the lid closed it's a form of an oven they should work.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am
Rib-O-Lator medium-rare
medium-rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:

I've always been a little hesitant about putting breaded items on the grill but since with the lid closed it's a form of an oven they should work.

i think next time i after coating with breading i will then re-coat with buttermilk, egg , butter or something so the crumbs are a little damper. my thought is it will form a more uniform crispy coating.
Bob
206-999-0962
www.ribolator.com

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rib-O-Lator wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

i think next time i after coating with breading i will then re-coat with buttermilk, egg , butter or something so the crumbs are a little damper. my thought is it will form a more uniform crispy coating.

Actually try this:
Coat in seasoned flour
Dip in egg/buttermilk mixture
Dip in seasoned crumb mixture

I've found that this breading technique tends to work the best. The crumbs don't get very damp but they stay on the meat, and the coating is definitely uniform. The seasoned flour provides a base for the rest of the coating and adds a bit more flavor.

Looks like this batch was pretty decent, though. Good work!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

I recall that for fried chicken often recipes recommend letting the chicken pieces sit for 20 minutes or so after breading (before any cooking). Not sure if that applies to the grilled version however. :D

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 pm
Rib-O-Lator medium-rare
medium-rare

harry_canyon wrote:
I recall that for fried chicken often recipes recommend letting the chicken pieces sit for 20 minutes or so after breading (before any cooking). Not sure if that applies to the grilled version however. :D

Take care,

Derek

i will give it a try, thanks for the info.
Bob
206-999-0962
www.ribolator.com

Return to General Discussion