Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Made some boudin sausage

Made some boudin sausage

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I spent New Years day making up about 13 pounds of boudin sausage. I forget how time consuming sausage making can be every time I start a new batch. :lol: The results were mighty tasty though!

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks good! How "ricey" did you make it?

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks good! How "ricey" did you make it?

I'd guess its about 50/50 rice/meat

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Looking good there Toby!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:27 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

That looks great, i just got a meat grinder, and would love to try sausage. Where do you get your casings from?? I don't know that I have ever seen/looked for them before. Is there a chain store I could try? Thanks for reply!
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Nick wrote:
That looks great, i just got a meat grinder, and would love to try sausage. Where do you get your casings from?? I don't know that I have ever seen/looked for them before. Is there a chain store I could try? Thanks for reply!

Hi Nick - sausage making is a lot of fun and can be very rewarding but it is a LOT of work. It's generally easier when you have two sets of hands as well. For this type of sausage, no grinder is needed. Boudin is made by boiling pork and then I just chopped it with a knife. Your meat grinder probably came with sausage stuffing attachments, but I would just like to warn you that stuffing with a grinder makes it not very fun. It's frustrating and you definitely need two people if you are going to go that route. A dedicated stuffer (I prefer vertical) is well worth $100. As for the casings, you can buy them at chain stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, Tractor Supply, etc... They come in packages like this http://www.amazon.com/Home-Pack-Sausage ... or+sausage They need to be rinsed inside and out very well before stuffing. Good luck! :)

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Looks great, Toby. You got a recipe? I finally got a vertical stuffer for Christmas. Was tired of using the grinder. Can't wait to try it out. Oh...5# LEM vertical stuffer.

Nick - you could try Academy if you have one of those nearby.

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Looks great, Toby. You got a recipe? I finally got a vertical stuffer for Christmas. Was tired of using the grinder. Can't wait to try it out. Oh...5# LEM vertical stuffer.

Nick - you could try Academy if you have one of those nearby.

I always follow my buddy Surfin Sapo's tutorial found here --> http://vimeo.com/4676277

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks, Toby. I've actually watched that vid before. That guy cracks me up. Definitely a Corpus Christi surfer boy. Bet you at one time I was probably in the line up surfing with him back in the day before moving to Big D.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Thanks, Toby. I've actually watched that vid before. That guy cracks me up. Definitely a Corpus Christi surfer boy. Bet you at one time I was probably in the line up surfing with him back in the day before moving to Big D.

Sapo certainly marches to his own drummer. He is one heck of a dude though. :)

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am
Griffin well done
well done

Just re-read that. That wasn't meant to be derogatory. Growing up in that Corpus Christi surfing environment, he brings back a lot of memories of the guys down there. One of the things he says "Right Chere" instead of Right here (not sure how to spell it), is classic lingo down there. Couple other phrases and mannerisms he has that I remember from that culture. I still do some of them to this day. :lol:

Return to General Discussion