Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 2012 Christmas Rib Roast

2012 Christmas Rib Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:41 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

I oven roasted a 15.5lb, seven bone rib roast for Christmas Day dinner. It was longer than the roasting pan I would normally have used, so I roasted it in doubled up aluminum steamer pans. Roast was rubbed with gravy master than sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders with a little white wine in the bottom of the pan. It was placed in a 350 degree oven, which was eventually lowered to 300 degrees. My rule of thumb is to always pull the roast out of the oven after 2hr 30min, but since it was so large it was left it in until the 3hr mark then left to rest.

The result was a medium roast, the way my wife and I preffer, not a walking away rare piece of meat as my kids would have preffered.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a hefty chunk of beef, Joe - how many were you feeding? If you have leftovers I see some great hot beef sandwiches in your future!

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Joe Grod wrote:
I oven roasted a 15.5lb, seven bone rib roast for Christmas Day dinner. It was longer than the roasting pan I would normally have used, so I roasted it in doubled up aluminum steamer pans. Roast was rubbed with gravy master than sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders with a little white wine in the bottom of the pan. It was placed in a 350 degree oven, which was eventually lowered to 300 degrees. My rule of thumb is to always pull the roast out of the oven after 2hr 30min, but since it was so large it was left it in until the 3hr mark then left to rest.

The result was a medium roast, the way my wife and I preffer, not a walking away rare piece of meat as my kids would have preffered.

My rule of thumb is : Temperature, not time ... I figure a prime rib is enough an investment to make my guests work around the meat rather than vice versa. I cook to 135F, as I find RARE rib roast to have a "jelly" texture that is disagreeable. Recently, I have been going "low and slow" at 225F and searing at the end with the weed burner.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's a hefty chunk of beef, Joe - how many were you feeding? If you have leftovers I see some great hot beef sandwiches in your future!

I was expecting to feed eleven adults, but actually fed only eight. I froze the remainder in separate slices, with a little au-jus in each zip lock bag. My wife works twelve hour night shifts in the hospital and the portions would provide a decent lunch for her. The ribs were frozen separate to use as the base for some beef barley soup.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:31 am
BBQ Deputy

Joe Grod wrote:
The ribs were frozen separate to use as the base for some beef barley soup.
Sounds good! Soup season's definitely here; I made a big pot about a week ago.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Looks super tasty, I LOVE Prime Rib.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Joe Grod wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

I was expecting to feed eleven adults, but actually fed only eight. I froze the remainder in separate slices, with a little au-jus in each zip lock bag. My wife works twelve hour night shifts in the hospital and the portions would provide a decent lunch for her. The ribs were frozen separate to use as the base for some beef barley soup.

Ribs are the first thing I eat in the kitchen while everyone else is being served... I'm usually too full for the slice by the time I get to the table .. :oops:
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Ribs are the first thing I eat in the kitchen while everyone else is being served... I'm usually too full for the slice by the time I get to the table .. :oops:

I also like the ribs and the fatttier top of the rib. As I was carving, I sampled (hey someone has to be the food taster) and ate a rib. I also made the usual family favorites, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, along with oven roasted root veggies (carrot, parsnip, butternut squash, garlic roasted w olive oil and spices), cucumber salad and biscuits and didn't want to get full too soon.

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 am
BBQ Deputy

That's a nice selection of sides, Joe!

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Thanks

Return to General Discussion