I finally cured the thing, so naturally the first thing I wanted to do was fire a pie. Last night when I got home Mrs Scorch had picked up a couple pizza dough balls from Trader Joe's and we were in business (yes, I'd rather make my own dough but this was a quickie). So I built two pepperoni, jalapeno and black olive pies and prepped the fire.
Firing this thing was easier than it sounded (it takes like an hour and a few different steps) and once I got the hang of it, I was at around 700 degrees and the fire was going good.
Two minutes and 15 seconds later, out came the first pie. The crust was fantastic, better than I could have hoped for. I fired a second one. here they are, side by side:
Next time I think I'll cook them a little longer (like 3 minutes) but they came out way better than I though that my first ones would be. It's almost foolproof (well, to this fool at least). I can't wait to elevate my technique so I can start roasting bigger cuts of meat and chickens in this thing.