Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Balsamic Steak

Grilled Balsamic Steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Today my wife stumbled upon a marinade for a flank steak for dinner and we seemed to have everything on hand except the steak. If you aren't familiar with the cut of flank steak then let me take some time to cut out any myths about it. Flank steak is not a chewy steak and while it is inexpensive it can be a fabulous cut of meat if cut right which is against the grain and thin but also cooked properly which you shouldn't take to more than medium but I prefer medium rare.

So we went to Whole Foods and picked up a 2 lb. flank steak. Of course they had free samples all over the place and we found it very hard to walk away with just the flank steak but that's not for this post! We came home and started to marinade the steak. I know the recipe says for a half hour but you could never over marinade flank steak.

My wife and daughter did the marinade of the meat

They used 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
4 tsp of dark brown sugar (we used light brown sugar)
2 garlic cloves minced
and salt and pepper to your liking

We had that in a bag in the fridge for about 4 hours or so. After that time I got the Egg up to about 450 or so for this cut as it had some brown sugar and I didn't want that to burn on a high heat temp like 750 or so.

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

I tried to get some decent grill marks on the steak....

After shutting down the vents I did the poke test and took it off and rested it. My wife sliced it thin and against the grain for a nice medium rare...

Dinner was topped off with some roasted potatoes and some garlic herb butter and some bread!

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome looking and sounding steak!!
Cooked to perfection :D

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Cousin Eddie! Do you strap the BGE to the back of the RV? :wink:

Awhile back I bought a 3-lb package of flank steak because I hardly ever see it but for some reason I didn't break it down into 2 packages for the freezer, so now I need a recipe that calls for 3 lbs. :oops:

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice job, Cousin Eddie! Do you strap the BGE to the back of the RV? :wink:

Awhile back I bought a 3-lb package of flank steak because I hardly ever see it but for some reason I didn't break it down into 2 packages for the freezer, so now I need a recipe that calls for 3 lbs. :oops:

Haha :)

Yeah you could do mine and just 1.5 the recipe since I initially doubled it to begin with but then you are stuck with a lot of the same meat.....2 lbs is perfect for our family of 5 :)

Return to General Discussion