Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Year cooking?

New Year cooking?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Anyone doing anything special for New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? I took a chuck roast out of the freezer and am not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, since my wife and I both work tomorrow and she works New Year's Day as well, but that's a later shift so we might have it for lunch. Maybe I'll swing by the store and see what's available for shrimp and/or scallops.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm
BBQ Deputy

Went to the grocery store at lunch and bought 3-1/2 pounds of raw 26/30 shrimp and 3 limes. I have garlic and roasted sesame oil at home so something with Asian overtones might be on the horizon. I also have a chuck roast salted and resting in the fridge...darn, I forgot to buy sandwich rolls!

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Well... Not cooking per se but getting ready to. Now that the backyard BBQ is complete, the Pizza Oven needed to be cured. This takes place over a 4 day period with progressively hotter fires until you are in the 600 - 700 degree range. This isn't smoking or grilling but it IS playing with live fire, so that should count. Anyhow, researching this oven stuff I'm seeing that it's a perfect compliment to a grill or smoker. You can cook just about anything in here but it takes some getting used to. New Years day was the fourth day of the curing process, I got her rolling at about 650 degrees on the dome and the floor was closer to 725. Here's a shot of the final burn. This is the day 4 burn that burns off all of the soot that has accumulated in the prior 3 burns - and is partially a result of the water forced out of the terracotta dome. Tonight I fire my first pizza. Wish me luck.

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm
BBQ Deputy

I'll bet your pizza's going to have a terrific crust! Cool shot of the fire, too...

Return to General Discussion