Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Christmas Prime Rib

Christmas Prime Rib

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season. One of the things I've been doing for years was making Prime Rib usually just for my wife and 3 kids but this time since we were back up near the family I decided to make one in addition to my moms cause well she WAYYYY overcooks hers and I was requested to do so by several people. And when I say overcook I mean she cooks it to 190 degrees! Anyhow, my go to paste for the PR is a Tyler Florence Horseradish, Garlic and Herb paste which is just an unreal crust....Unfortunately for me my bourbon dr. pepper mix got the best of me so I don't have any pictures of the finished prime rib.

I took the prime rib off at 126 and tightly foiled it and let it rise to 135 (a little higher than most people) but not everyone likes super super rare meat here so I compromised.

Here are some pics!

I got a 10 lb prime rib

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

I applied the paste. The paste consists of

Fresh Prepared Horseradish
Thyme
Rosemary
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Crushed Garlic
Olive Oil

I got the Egg stablized at around 325 and let me tell you it was COLD outside and that wind was ridiculously cold.

This picture is about an hour after or so

The crust was forming nicely and then the bourbon and dr. pepper started flowing and I forgot to take pictures of the cut prime rib. I will say I had slices available to most peoples liking and after 10 lbs I had 1 slice left. I'm sure that didn't make my mom feel good as she has probably 9 lbs. left of hers but hey we can make prime rib hash out of it :)

Oh yeah, I added some asparagus with proscuitto because well I love it :)

And again I blame the no final cut of the meat on this

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks awesome!!!
No one will blames for not taking pix of the final product. It would be hard to stop and takes pix when the Rib roast looks this good :)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I understand about your mom's prime rib, Eddie...people from the era where medium-well and well-done were the norm for health reasons (some legit, some maybe not so much) can be quite set in their ways. I hope you were a good son and at least had a slice or 2 of hers! :wink:

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I understand about your mom's prime rib, Eddie...people from the era where medium-well and well-done were the norm for health reasons (some legit, some maybe not so much) can be quite set in their ways. I hope you were a good son and at least had a slice or 2 of hers! :wink:

Haha! It's actually my Dad who wants everything like a leather belt and unfortunately she caters to him when it comes to cooking. (He's pickier than my 3 children) Otherwise I think she'd tone down the temp a little to maybe 160 :) Haha!

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds just like my dad! Fortunately he's gotten to the point where medium-well is acceptable for beef, but the pork chops still have to be cooked to death. :lol:

Return to General Discussion