Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Made some pastrami (pics)

Made some pastrami (pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:52 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Well, fake pastrami - I used a corned beef from the store, rather than brining it myself.

Rubbed it the night before with a mix of cracked black pepper, cracked coriander, cracked mustard seed, onion powder, and garlic powder:

On the Egg with pecan and cherry wood:

At 150 internal, I foiled it with a little beer. I intended to take it to 170 and pull it, but I got distracted by the football game. Ended up taking it off at 190.

But it was great anyway:

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:56 am
tbk420 well done
well done

I should probably also mention that I soaked it for 24 hours in water prior to smoking, changing every few hours, to remove a lot of the salt.

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks good, especially after you added the rye bread and the mustard! :wink:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - nicely done! I could go for one of those sammiches right now as I'm a bit turkeyed-out. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:04 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Very nice. I just got an electric slicer for Christmas, so pastrami is on the short list. I was disappointed in my last one because I couldn't cut it thin enough.

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That looks awesome!!!
Soaking is very important for removing access salt and foiling is just as important for steaming and tenderizing. You did it by the book my friend and the results speaks for itself :D

Return to General Discussion