Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Snow day!

Snow day!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:13 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I could've made the 21-mile trip to work this morning but the expected blizzard condtions later today would've made it tricky to get back home, so I'm burning a vacation day...and hoping to burn some charcoal! I took a strip steak, a soup bone, some precooked andouille sausage links, and some chicken drumsticks out of the freezer this morning so we'll be eating (hopefully) well today.

Anybody else planning to do some cooking on an unexpected day off?

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Nah - but I wish. Us west coasters don't do snow days... I did burn in the new grill last Friday though with a couple Juicy Lucys (who'd of thunk? Burgers for the maiden voyage after almost a year of construction :) ). Works like a charm. Now to keep all the wood dry!

(Fixed Pics)

Last edited by scorched_porch on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm
Trollby well done
well done

What is this thing called Snow-day?

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 pm
BBQ Deputy

Nothing wrong with a classic choice like burgers for christening a new cooker, SP! Looks like they turned out just fine!

So I guess you had to go to work today, Trollby? I'm out in the sticks and am pretty sure I could've made it in, but it wasn't worth it for a short day and if things worsen this afternoon as predicted I might not've made it home. I don't know if you were here back in December, 1990 but in that storm we couldn't make it home and wound up sleeping on the floor of the Oregon city hall.

Looks like it's time to fire up the grill for the first round!

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Law Enforcement gets No days off :(

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 pm
BBQ Deputy

I have a lot of respect for the LEOs, firefighters, utility workers, etc. that are out and about on days like this. Stay safe!

Hopefully I won't have to call Dane County because someone missed the curve in front of the house...

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am
BBQ Deputy

I wound up grilling some andouille sausages for lunch. I suspect they're not quite like the real thing but they cooked quickly and tasted good, with some nice spiciness.
Image Image

After another round of shoveling I grilled a couple of strip steaks for dinner.
Image Image

To be honest I was pretty beat by then and didn't turn in my best effort, and the steaks were a little more done than I would've liked. But we were pretty hungry and liked them more than we might've at another time.
Image Image

Fortunately Mrs. Chicken had fired up the bread machine earlier in the afternoon so we had plenty of warm, fresh bread to go with the steaks.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like everything turned out OK.

Up here in Alberta, almost every day is a snow day from early December to early April. The outdoor temps get low enough that gas grills don't work too well but that's why I like to use lump charcoal.

I've even been known to grill the odd time when the thermometer is in the 40-below range. No pics, though, as the camera tends to freeze up. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion