Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ham Question

Ham Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am
naterea medium
medium

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding a ham. I don't really have the time or desire to start a ham from scratch what with the curing and all but I was wondering how effective buying a already cooked ham and putting it in a smoker to heat up. Has anyone done this before? You do need to cure a ham first right before cooking?
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm
jstewart well done
well done

naterea,

I usually buy one pre-cooked, Boars head for example, and put on my Weber kettle and re-heat it indirect with coals on both sides of the kettle. It works pretty well this way and is a good way to heat it up and put a glaze or other topping on the ham.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:52 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Long-time poster on this forum and bbq'er extraordinaire BOB-BQN taught me how to do this and its a hit every year at our house. Below is Bob's recipe, and it's a gud'n!

Buy an already smoked ham and doctor it up on the pit for a double-smoked ham. This is what do every Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is ALWAYS a favorite. Your grocery stores will have these piled up. They either come whole or spiral cut. I suggest buying a whole as the spiral cut ones dry out a bit and the ends will curl on the pit.

Ingredients/materials
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 can of pineapple rings
1 jar of maraschino cherries
Injector
toothpicks

Make an injection
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 - 3 tbsp of brown sugar
Pour in all of the juice from your pineapple can
2 – 3 tbsp Cherry Juice out of the jar

Warm the injection in the microwave and stir until all is liquid. Inject all throughout the ham until it wont hold anymore. I haven’t had a ham take too much injection. Maybe half of what you made or so. Anyways, the leftover injection can be used to baste the ham on your pit. Put it on a 225 degree pit. Remember, the ham is already cooked, so you are really just trying to warm it up to temp. I like to bring mine up to about 135 or so. I wait until the last 45 minutes or so to decorate my ham. I affix the pineapple rings and cherries to the ham and then baste with the leftover injection.

DON'T FORGET: Save your hambone and use it in a pot of black-eyed peas or pinto beans. I freeze my Thanksgiving hambone and use it at Christmas. DEElicious!

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:
Remember, the ham is already cooked, so you are really just trying to warm it up to temp.
The most important thing to remember when putting a fully cooked ham on the grill or smoker! A partially cooked ham will come with instructions but once it hits 140 it'll be safe, especially since carryover will take it 5-10 degrees higher. America's Test Kitchen suggests 120 degrees minimum for a fully cooked ham.

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 am
naterea medium
medium

Thanks guys. Ham is my absolute favorite!!
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

tex_toby wrote:
Put it on a 225 degree pit. Remember, the ham is already cooked, so you are really just trying to warm it up to temp. I like to bring mine up to about 135 or so. I wait until the last 45 minutes or so to decorate my ham.

What is your total cooking time on average?

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I'd say 2, maybe 2.5 hours...
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Return to General Discussion