Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking a Turkey

Smoking a Turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:25 pm
miss_rach rare
rare

Guys,
Got a 12# bird and plan to brine it. My smoker runs about 225 - 230, what is the ball park for time/pound to smoke a turkey? I know the breast needs to get to 165f, just trying to plan how long that takes so I know when to start smoking.

Cheers!
CG Super Pro w/SFB

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I would estimate 3 to 4 hours depending on the weather condition and temp fluctuations. Always judge by the thermometer and never based on time. But for planning purposes, 3 to 4 hours to be safe.

Also something to keep in mind, once your turkey reaches internal temp of 140 you can always finish it in the oven if the outdoor temp/condition becomes bad. Meat usually don’t take on smoke flavor pasted 140.
One year the weather outside got so bad and had no choice but to finish the turkey indoors. No one knew the difference :D

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think 4 hours is a good starting estimate as the rule of thumb I've always heard is 15 minutes per pound at 325F, which would be a 3-hour cook for a 12-pound bird. An electric roasting pan like a Nesco works great for resting a turkey since the temperature can be set to around 150 IIRC.

Return to General Discussion