Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion au jus recipes

au jus recipes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:35 pm
buttsmoker well done
well done

guys, share some quick and easy au jus recipes you have used and liked.
I'm using it on a boneless strip loin.

I've only made it once and the best i can remember it went something like this:

Started with water to boil baby carrots, 1 onion that I quartered, and garlic powder and 10 oz of Worcestershire sauce.
I used the beef bone that was grilled with a little meat left on the bone, whole pepper corn and the some of the canadian steak seasoning that fell off while I was cutting the bones off.

I brought it all a boil and put the lid on it and let it stay on the stove for 1 or so, trying not to let it boil again.
pulled out the bones, carrots and onions . Then added mushrooms to the au jus.
model 84 lang smoker

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds like it'd be quite flavorful!

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm
buttsmoker well done
well done

got some water

started smoking beef short ribs

put the pan of water under the beef ribs

sampled the meat and threw the bone in
for good measure (cut off bone with knife)

used MY "beef stock" to boil onion and baby carrots
cut some of the meat off the bone (sampling) and put the "meaty" bone in the stock
and continued to boil everything. {to boil baby carrots, 1 onion that I quartered, and garlic powder and 10 oz of Worcestershire sauce.
I used the beef bone that was grilled with a little meat left on the bone, whole pepper corn and the some of the canadian steak seasoning that fell off while I was cutting the bones off.

I brought it all a boil and put the lid on it and let it stay on the stove for 1 or so, trying not to let it boil again.
pulled out the bones, carrots and onions . Then added mushrooms to the au jus.

I wished I would have put pans under the ny york strip loins to capture more "drippings"
I wished I didn't put all 10 oz of worcesternshire in also, (a little strong )

model 84 lang smoker

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So aside from the worcestershire flavor was it pretty good overall? How long will it keep in the fridge?

I think the short ribs were an excellent choice. Nice and beefy with plenty of fat for flavor!

My perception of au jus is that if it's made from scratch it won't be for the beef that actually creates it, but more for the next beef meal to come along. Still, it's not that different than making gravy from turkey drippings and if the piece of beef is large enough it could probably be kept warm enough until the au jus is finished.

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am
buttsmoker well done
well done

So aside from the worcestershire flavor was it pretty good overall?
yes (would do it again just less worcestershire) , I just added to much to start with, the interesting thing was the longer it stayed on the stove the more the beef taste started "smoothing it out"

How long will it keep in the fridge?
I'm not very sure ( i feel certain 2-3 days), I would consider freezing it unless someone else knows different

I think the short ribs were an excellent choice. Nice and beefy with plenty of fat for flavor!
they really were, I loved the idea of the bones adding flavor as well

My perception of au jus is that if it's made from scratch it won't be for the beef that actually creates it, but more for the next beef meal to come along. Still, it's not that different than making gravy from turkey drippings and if the piece of beef is large enough it could probably be kept warm enough until the au jus is finished.
In my situation, i was cooking for a group. I could have made this a few days in advance and tweaked it a bit more.
over-all i loved it, it was easy and good. The taste changed as it cooked. The group really liked it a lot.
model 84 lang smoker

Return to General Discussion