Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Beef Tacos

Pulled Beef Tacos

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am
Griffin well done
well done

There was a bit of chatter last week on another forum about pulled beef. I knew they were going on the menu after all of it. I know its more traditional to make pulled beef sandwiches, but Mrs. G loves tacos (and I'll admit, I'm kinda a fan as well), so we opted to go that route. Two chuck roasts weighing in at about 4 lbs a piece rubbed down with canola oil and Bolner's Fiesta brand Fajita Spice

They went on to the Egg at 7:30 am at 250 with a mix of hickory chunks and mesquite chips (I really need to restock my supply of mesquite)

Had to take a lil peak at about 2.5 hours in, also wanted to get a probe into the meat.

Took them to 165 and then foiled them, no broth or juice or anything at all. That was around 1:30, about 6 hours in. No pictures at that point as I was busy doing "Stuff". They stayed on for another 2.5 hours or so. I'll admit, I got distracted watching some football and went to check on them around 4 and they were at 210. Went into a cooler with some towels as dinner was still a bit off.

Finished. Fall part tender and juicy.

About 8lbs of pulled beef (pre-cooked weight)

Pulled beef tacos, home-made pico de gallo, queso fresco and a side of chips and queso. Mrs. G also whipped up a batch of boracho beans, but I didn't get any pictures of that.

Got a ton of leftovers now. I'll eat on it a bit more the next few days, but the majority will be vac sealed and frozen for weeknight dinners down the road. I can already see enchiladas, nachos and maybe a pizza in my future.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome looking beef and meal Griffin!!
It’s funny, I was just thinking about making the same thing before I saw your post :lol:
We called this shredded beef in California, but names don’t matter, the end result is still a marvelous meal :)

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Griffin! I like the shot of the finished beef before you broke it down.

Tacos are great for using up leftovers but there's certainly nothing wrong with making them the focal point of the cook!

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Looks Wonderful!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Looks Fantastic! You have given me an evil idea... Guess what's going in shepherds pie this weekend? :wink:
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

I did a pork butt on the egg a couple of days ago.
Made tacos last night with it.

We did the tacos with cilantro, onion, queso fresco, sour cream and lime juice............... :D

I think it is time to heat them up for more tonight!

Greg

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am
Griffin well done
well done

BBcue-Z - tomato, to-ma-toe. What's in a name anyway as long as it tastes good, right?

ScreamingChicken - thanks. I was surprised, I barely pushed down on it and it just fell apart. Happy, happy, happy.

Thanks, Lostarrow

scorched_porch - I like the way you think.

2beast - street tacos....nice! Simple, but good. We actually made regular hard shell tacos last night. Stacie fried up some corn tortillas, some lettuce and tomatoes. Good stuff. Had nachos the night before. The rest got vac-sealed and frozen for later.

A tip for reheating leftovers - warm up a skillet with some beef broth, maybe sprinkle in some cumin and chipotle or ancho poweder and let the meat simmer in it for a few minutes.

Return to General Discussion