Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Saving/Freezing BBQ

Saving/Freezing BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Posts: 1
Location: Chicago, IL
I'm a Chicago based BBQ'r and am wondering what the best method for saving BBQ is. Is it possible to freeze BBQ and later defrosted and heated slowly in an oven? I love BBQ but during the winter months, tend to shy away as it is really difficult to keep my CQ Duo up to temp while the white stuff is wipping around all winter. Can BBQ be frozen and used later, or does it ruin your best efforts to get a moist, smoked piece of meat? What are the best methods for doing so?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Posts: 950
Location: Simi Valley, CA
The easy answer is "yes" and I'm sure you will get a number of suggestions to freeze bbq for later. What I normally do is to use my Foodsaver to bag and seal the leftovers. I typically do this for brisket and pulled pork. I've also put bbq sauce in a bag and frozen it for later use. When it is time to get it out of the freezer for eating, I take it out a day before and let it thaw in the fridge. I then put the bag in a pan of hot water at about 180 degrees or so and let the meat slowly warm up. I personally think the meat sometimes is better the second time around, particularly the pulled pork.
Jimmy
Image
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7517
Location: Stoughton, WI
Welcome, Bleacherbum28!

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

Posts: 721
Location: Western Pa.
jstewart wrote:
The easy answer is "yes" and I'm sure you will get a number of suggestions to freeze bbq for later. What I normally do is to use my Foodsaver to bag and seal the leftovers. I typically do this for brisket and pulled pork. I've also put bbq sauce in a bag and frozen it for later use. When it is time to get it out of the freezer for eating, I take it out a day before and let it thaw in the fridge. I then put the bag in a pan of hot water at about 180 degrees or so and let the meat slowly warm up. I personally think the meat sometimes is better the second time around, particularly the pulled pork.



+1

I think the act of vacuum sealing intensifies the flavors.

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Posts: 2977
Location: Philly

One (compound) word. FoodSaver. End of Story.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit
Image

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 am
d_holck well done
well done

Posts: 844
Location: Illinois
tbk420 wrote:
jstewart wrote:
The easy answer is "yes" and I'm sure you will get a number of suggestions to freeze bbq for later. What I normally do is to use my Foodsaver to bag and seal the leftovers. I typically do this for brisket and pulled pork. I've also put bbq sauce in a bag and frozen it for later use. When it is time to get it out of the freezer for eating, I take it out a day before and let it thaw in the fridge. I then put the bag in a pan of hot water at about 180 degrees or so and let the meat slowly warm up. I personally think the meat sometimes is better the second time around, particularly the pulled pork.



+1

I think the act of vacuum sealing intensifies the flavors.


+1 again. And welcome to the board, BleacherBum. You'll find lots of help around here. And if you don't have a FoodSaver, you can get even get away with Ziplocs.

Smoke it, pull it, bag it, freeze it... thaw it, warm it. Good to go.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5877
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
d_holck wrote:
tbk420 wrote:
jstewart wrote:
The easy answer is "yes" and I'm sure you will get a number of suggestions to freeze bbq for later. What I normally do is to use my Foodsaver to bag and seal the leftovers. I typically do this for brisket and pulled pork. I've also put bbq sauce in a bag and frozen it for later use. When it is time to get it out of the freezer for eating, I take it out a day before and let it thaw in the fridge. I then put the bag in a pan of hot water at about 180 degrees or so and let the meat slowly warm up. I personally think the meat sometimes is better the second time around, particularly the pulled pork.



+1

I think the act of vacuum sealing intensifies the flavors.


+1 again. And welcome to the board, BleacherBum. You'll find lots of help around here. And if you don't have a FoodSaver, you can get even get away with Ziplocs.

Smoke it, pull it, bag it, freeze it... thaw it, warm it. Good to go.


Welcome aboard, BleacherBum! :D

Same for me - I also use a FoodSaver for freezing BBQ as above and thaw and heat it the same way. And as for the meat tasting even better the second time around, I thin it has something to do with the flavors redistributing in the meat because it gets to sit quietly for a while when it's thawing. I actually prefer frozen and reheated pulled pork to the fresh stuff, in fact. That's why I cook extra just for freezing - oh, and for occasional guests too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.


Return to General Discussion

cron