Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mustard-crusted sirloin roast

Mustard-crusted sirloin roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I had one last sirloin tip roast in the freezer so over the weekend I thawed and cooked it.

I was all set to use a Dijon mustard when I came across a little jar of specialty mustard that'd been hiding in the fridge for a few years.

After salting the beef I grated 4 small garlic cloves and ground some pepper into the mustard and smeared the paste over the meat.

My current favorite way to cook a boneless roast is to use the rotisserie and this time I stuck with hardwood briquettes.

A lot of juice came out after a 15-minute rest.

I had taken it off the grill after it reached 120-125 and it had great color.

Ordinarily I'd make a horseradish sauce for beef but the mustard added a nice spiciness so we built our sandwiches with just mayonnaise. The buns were fresh kaiser rolls from the grocery store and they made a big difference.

It's always nice to be able to make something good from ingredients that are already on hand.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

BEAUTIFUL!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks great! I bet it smelled fantastic!

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 am
BBQ Deputy

It did, especially while it was cooking!

Last night I took what was left and simmered it with a few mushrooms in some au jus (the Johnny's brand). I took a rosemary/thyme/olive oil focaccia and cut it in half horizontally, toasted it on the grill, put the beef and some provolone cheese in the center to create a big sandwich, and then finished it on the grill under a press. Then I cut it into wedges and served it with the au jus for dipping...outstanding! It was not like the French dip you get at Denny's! :lol:

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 pm
BBQ Deputy

Here are the photos of the sandwich. I had to send the film to Kansas for processing. :lol:

The beef and mushrooms simmering on the stove.

Under the grill weight. I pressed both sides so that there'd be grill marks on the top.

Done and ready to cut. Since everything was already cooked all I really wanted to do was melt the cheese.

Ready to serve.

It really was a good sandwich...

Return to General Discussion