Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion End of the Line

End of the Line

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

I think it's the end of the line for my old Brinkmann, which has developed holes in both the cooking chamber (which I patched with sheet metal) and the fire box, which I believe is unrepairable. Time to think of a replacement.

Lowes has Chargriller cooking chamber for $119 with the SFB for an additional $69, totaling of around $200 w/tax.

Home Depot has the Brinkmann Pitmaster for $179, SFB included.

Then there is that electric uniit at SAMS for $299.

Decisions, decisions

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:27 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Just buy a barrel cooker.
For smoking use a fuse burn with a heat deflector , can get 10 hr unattended cooks that way.

New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

I've seen this unit in the stores. Adjustable height for the coal tray. How do you start your coals and add more if needed? I'm assuming foil lined cookie tray is the grease catcher, whats the purpose of the unfoilled tray?

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like you really got your money's worth out of it, Joe. Would it be possible to buy just a new firebox? Or does the condition of the main chamber make that not a good deal?

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks like you really got your money's worth out of it, Joe. Would it be possible to buy just a new firebox? Or does the condition of the main chamber make that not a good deal?

After the snow melts I intend to take the unit apart and see whats up.

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Joe Grod wrote:
I've seen this unit in the stores. Adjustable height for the coal tray. How do you start your coals and add more if needed? I'm assuming foil lined cookie tray is the grease catcher, whats the purpose of the unfoilled tray?

Started coals with a parafan cube.
tboth trays function as heat diflectors i only foiled the one the meat was over.
the coals in the pic lasted about 7 hours, a full fuse is 10-12 hours.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:21 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

What brand of charcoal are you using? With kingsford I start the replacement load in a chimney and add the hot coals after the poisons have been burnt off. If necessary, can you add hot coals to your unit? What temps can you maintain?

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

That smoker has definitely seen better days!

Might I suggest a cover for the new one? :D

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:19 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

harry_canyon wrote:
Might I suggest a cover for the new one?

A cover may not permit my new smoker to properly inhale that fine New Jersey atmospheric seasoning and would upset the ambiance of my backyard. That would also play into my wifes hand who insists that I cover the gas grill, because the morning sun casts a strong reflection off the grill.
:D

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Not much left to salvage.

:(

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like total replacement's your best alternative, Joe.

Did you do a lot of big cooks on it? I had a Char-Broil Silver Smoker offset for a couple of years and while I liked it I never took advantage of its capacity, so when I had a chance to pick up a used WSM I went that route.

The fuse method looks like an interesting alternative for a horizontal smoker. If that's the style you like what about getting a really nice one (heavier metal) and adding the firebox at a later date if you decide you need one?

Post Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Did you do a lot of big cooks on it? I had a Char-Broil Silver Smoker offset for a couple of years and while I liked it I never took advantage of its capacity, so when I had a chance to pick up a used WSM I went that route.

The fuse method looks like an interesting alternative for a horizontal smoker. If that's the style you like what about getting a really nice one (heavier metal) and adding the firebox at a later date if you decide you need one?

I don't do as many big cooks as I have in the past. There are times when a brisket or two pork shoulders may share the cooker with 6 racks of ribs. I have learned to juggle of course, by adding the ribs (st louis cut) to the cooker after I have foiled the brisket or pork. I have placed the foiled meats on my gas grill, with one or two burners off to complete the cooking process.

I like the side fire box concept. I posted a thread on this site (Chargriller?) asking if anyone using the Chargriller Pro, which is on sale at Lowes for $119 (without SFB), has made any mods to take advantage of the large unused space under the grates. I haven't received any replies yet. Seems like alot of wasted space.

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend a moderately priced SFB equipped smoker, other than the usual Lowes or HD stock units.

Thanks

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 am
jstewart well done
well done

Joe Grod wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

I don't do as many big cooks as I have in the past. There are times when a brisket or two pork shoulders may share the cooker with 6 racks of ribs. I have learned to juggle of course, by adding the ribs (st louis cut) to the cooker after I have foiled the brisket or pork. I have placed the foiled meats on my gas grill, with one or two burners off to complete the cooking process.

I like the side fire box concept. I posted a thread on this site (Chargriller?) asking if anyone using the Chargriller Pro, which is on sale at Lowes for $119 (without SFB), has made any mods to take advantage of the large unused space under the grates. I haven't received any replies yet. Seems like alot of wasted space.

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend a moderately priced SFB equipped smoker, other than the usual Lowes or HD stock units.

Thanks

I guess I missed your question/post about using the Chargriller. I have a Chargriller Super Pro with a SFB. I've made a few mods and am generally pleased with the results over the years since March 2007. If you would like more info, please send a PM and I'd be more than happy to answer your questions.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion