Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turkey Brine

Turkey Brine

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Last year I used a Turkey brine that someone had posted. It was awesome, but I can't find the recipe again. I remember fresh ginger being in the brine and it smelled really funky. We were hesitant to use it, but it was the best turkey. Anybody have a link or remember the recipe?

Thanks,
E

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Eric, check out the recipe from TonyGreek in this thread. Could this be what you're looking for?

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

It might be... I don't remember. I'll keep digging. If nobody else responds with a similar recipe I guess that is it! :lol:

THANKS!

E

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I used this one and family loves it.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Apple Brine For Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered 4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

It's probably the one Trollby posted above. It was originally posted on this board by Don Marco (don't know where he got it from though), and I have since posted it here a few times as well. I've used that brine for the past 3 years and my family will be totally disappointed if I decide to cook the Thanksgiving turkey any other way. The results are always totally amazing!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

I use a similar brine recipe, but instead of all the cloves I use pickling spice. Something about the aroma of pickling spice and garlic that reminds me of the pickle barrels of my NYC youth.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:19 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Thanks Guys!!

I guess that is the recipe. Thanksgiving is saved!!!!!

Return to General Discussion