Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My New Sportsfood -- A Pizzaburger!

My New Sportsfood -- A Pizzaburger!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

...Almost sounds like Pittsburgh. Inspired in part by Dyal's hamburger steaks, (Thanks for letting me Steelering your idea, Dyal), I set out to produce a new sportsfood to get my Chargers back on track. Not wanting to go to the grocery store today, I opted to work with what I had on hand, make like a Marine, and adapt, improvise, and overcome.

At first I had a hankering for either my go to favorite meatball pizza or some kind of burger. I resolved to make the patty in a largely meatball fashion with egg, bread, Italian seasonings, and the like. Only exception is that tonight's Parmesan cheese would be external to the meat.

That done, I hit the French bread roll up with some homemade pizza suace.

Didn't have any moozarella, so I topped that with Parmesan that I used for the pork parmesan. Also added a touch of crushed red chile.

Off to the pit for it to do its thing. Finally topped it with thin sliced onion.

Wow and bullseye!--This recipe is a keeper. My goodness, 'twas delicious. The onions kept it in check and balance on the hamburger side, while the meatball pizza (or even sub) also shone through. The beauty of this recipe I see is that it lends itself to adding even more ingredients like bell peppers or mushrooms, olives, etc. Even has something of a football shape, so come on Chargers! :D

Got beer???

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sandwich would an awesome choice for tailgating, BC! I don't care for ground beef on pizza but give it some Italian flavors and put it on a bun and I'd be all over it!

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:57 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That sandwich would an awesome choice for tailgating, BC! I don't care for ground beef on pizza but give it some Italian flavors and put it on a bun and I'd be all over it!

Really great idea, beercuer! It also makes me wonder if it would go well with a few slices of Provolone too.

Actually, I don't need to wonder as I'm pretty sure it would. Provolone works great on my homemade or doctored up store-bought pizzas so it would be fine here.

ScreamingChicken - you could always add a bit of pork or veal and make the patty like a classic Italian meatball. That would go over great with the sauce - and the Parmesan (and the Provolone.....).
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:29 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Say, thanks guys! :D

Oh yeah, I think these lend themselves well to all kinds of variations. At the time, I was so wanting to use red rather than yellow onions, but still no regrets. As for the parmesan, it is a very worthy cheese, though I could mention it is more melt resistant than the other cheeses, just in case someone tries it. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:00 pm
jsperk well done
well done

This is on the have to try list. Looking real good.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks gooooood! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:27 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you, Jsperk! Thank you, Dyal! :D

I can't wait to make another one, and another one after that... . :lol:
Got beer???

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:15 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Always thinking outside the box, my friend! Nice job!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
Always thinking outside the box, my friend! Nice job!

Thanks Tex :D Go Cowboys! and Go Chargers!
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion