Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wild Game

Wild Game

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:30 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yeah I've had geese before; good stuff. Unfortunately, I don't think he gets many or any of those. He's really more of a deer hunter so I get a lot of that through the holidays. He bags 4 - 5 a year. Me, I fish for striper mostly. Last month was the first time he gave me sausage. I usually get steaks from him since his family really enjoys the sausage. I always give him some back of what I prepare. I guess he enjoys the symbiosis since he keeps sending deer my way :D Anyway, when it comes to duck it's one of those things I prefer farm raised more.

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 am
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

I had to resurrect this old thread. I finally bagged my first deer ever dropped it off for processing. I am getting deer steaks, ground meat for burgers, sausage and tenderloin butterflied. I now need recipes. I've never cooked deer before. Any tips would be great.
Image Image
"Who you callin' a chile head?!"

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hi and welcome back, HSG. I don't have any personal experience with venison but there are wild game marinade recipes in Steven's book Sauces Rubs and Marinades and Paul Kirk's 2 Championship Barbecue books, and I've heard and read about buttermilk marinades being used to reduce any gamey flavors.

Red wine and juniper seem to be popular marinade ingredients.

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:36 am
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Thanks Screamin! I have the sauces runs and marinades books somewhere. I gotta track it down and browse. I know several members are wild game hunters/cooks so chime in! Lol
Image Image

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Where the HECK have you been!?!?!?!?

Congrats on the deer score.

Glad to have you back around.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm
Trollby well done
well done

So far I have done:

Squirrel (Tree rats)
Pheasant
ruffed grouse
Duck
Goose
Venison
Rabbit

I found that Duck is really good smoked, The store bought smoked ones do not hold a candle to a good home-made ones.

Squirrel and rabbit you need to watch since they will dry out and get tough

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:01 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Ducks I tend to bake as there just isn't enough fat on them to stand up to a grill. In fact last night I did a lemon chicken with a couple Sprig breasts instead and it was phenomenal. That said, I sometimes take teal breast, pound it a little flat (lightly) wrap it around a jalapeno and wrap the whole thing in bacon, secured with a toothpick. Marinate in a teriyaki sauce and grill enough to cook the bacon.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Yardburner,

The wife has made a slave of me and I went a while without internet. :shock: :shock:

I am glad to be back. Ive missed you guys. I do need some deer recipies and tips!
Image Image

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Well I just grilled my first deer meat ever and I think I did ok. Grilled 2 deer steaks and about 7 bacon wrapped deer tenderloin medallions. Marinated them overnight in a homemade concoction of soy sauce Worcestershire garlic cayenne some A1 and some minced onion. Not too bad. Now I just need new different flavors to try as I have a freezer over run with meat. Lol
Image Image

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 am
toyman medium
medium

I hunt pheasant from the middle of October until the weekend after Thanksgiving. Made 2 pheasants yesterday for dinner along with an eye of round roast on the egg with some pecan and cherry wood. I rubbed the pheasant with some olive oil and then seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic & rosemary. Turned out very moist and delicious, along with the eye of round. Not bbq related, but I also take the breast meat from pheasant and make what I call "pheasant fire sticks". I'll slice the breasts into long pieces about 3/4" wide, dip in flour, then egg or buttermilk and then into a mixture of milled trisquits and seasonings, usually cayenne or homemade chili powder. then I fry them in a CI skillet until brown.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 pm
chrish well done
well done

wow this post was started Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:20 am, wonder what the very first posts were about if there still on here, bet it would be interesting
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 am
BBQ Deputy

Just go to page 1 of the thread and you'll see! :wink:

Re:

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

dkirn wrote:
Does anyone have any marinades or rubs that they use on venison? I just use salt and pepper but I am looking for something alittle different.

I use that Basque Marinade (the one that says Try Me you'll Like me" on it). It works fabulous for Venison and Elk backstrap and Tenderloin. I think you can see it here: http://www.basquecompany.com/Basque-Meat-Tenderizer-6-pack_p_8.html
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Sunday dinner after the Packer Game I made Venison Tenderloin with a Mushroom and Sweet Onion Gravy and served it over Gluten Free Penne Pasta.

Was very tasty!

I had the Tenderloin from the Big Doe I got last year, was very big for a venison tenderloin and even had left-overs

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 am
BBQ Deputy

Did you grill it? How'd you do this year?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion