Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Butt on my barrel cooker

Butt on my barrel cooker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:31 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

First I STOLE this idea!
Tried first with my tailgating CB-500 & it worked!
Now my big grill with a 36 X 16 cooking area is a 10+ hr smoker.
You just need a few bricks and a pan to act as a heat shield.
Make a "fuse burn" with wood chunks covered with charcoal, the one you see burned 8 hours when the full fuse is placed will last 12 hrs.
Only cooked one 7 lb butt.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's like the Minion Method went horizontal! :lol:

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Yum!!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:25 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Brilliant and beautiful, and as Dyal says, Yum!!! By the way, Lostarrow, that camera takes marvelous pics! :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Wow, that fuse burn is a very cool thing. So you put the wood chunks under the coals rather than on top of them? Have yet to experiment with this but it's on my to-do list.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Okay - I can't stop thinking about this, and now I am going to drive you crazy with questions.

1. First off - When you lit it, did you have trouble getting up to temp - or do you dump enough lit coals on the end of it to "bootstrap" the temperature of the pit?
2. Once this thing was stable temp wise, did it stay that way all throughout the burn or did you have to play with it?
3. Since you used briquettes, did you pick up any off flavor seeing that they were getting lit in that enclosed space?

That's all. I promise to leave you alone now - but the weekend approaches and I need data!
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

scorched_porch wrote:
Okay - I can't stop thinking about this, and now I am going to drive you crazy with questions.

1. First off - When you lit it, did you have trouble getting up to temp - or do you dump enough lit coals on the end of it to "bootstrap" the temperature of the pit?
2. Once this thing was stable temp wise, did it stay that way all throughout the burn or did you have to play with it?
3. Since you used briquettes, did you pick up any off flavor seeing that they were getting lit in that enclosed space?

That's all. I promise to leave you alone now - but the weekend approaches and I need data!

1) lit about 20 briquittes & put on end, took an hour to make 200F & peaked about 250F
2) I've used this on 4 different cookers all are stable after an hour or so, don't have to adjust once you fiqure out the correct airflow.
3) I can't tell the difference between lump & briquittes , I'm 58 & my smell/ taste isn't as good as it was??
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Return to General Discussion