Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Stir Fry on Mini Egg(tons of pics)

Stir Fry on Mini Egg(tons of pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 am
Griffin well done
well done

Last week, I was contacted out of the blue by a fellow Egghead. Seems she sold her Mini egg and had a wok for it sitting around that she couldn't use. She asked if I wanted it. I always feel quilty when people offer stuff to me for free, but what could I say? (I will be sending her some goodies in the mail, but she don't know it yet. :wink: ) The wok came from The Wok Shop in San Francisco from what I gather

Not real well seasoned

Gave it a light scrub down, rubbed it lightly with peanut oil and then threw it on the large Egg at 425-450 for about 20 minutes. Then let it cool off and fried up some green onions on the stove to get rid of any metallic taste that might be lingering.

At this point, I had a choice to make...should I just stir fry on the large since it was already hot, or use the mini? Tough choice, huh? Until I realized the large was almost out of lump. Mini it is!
Some veggies

Mise en place

Hard to believe that the wok wasn't made just for the Mini Egg, isn't it?

Shrimp in

Veggies in

Noodles and shrimp back in

Done

Plated up along with some eggrolls

For a first time, I think it went pretty well. I think I had my temps a bit low (can't remember now if I had it at 450 or 500, bourbon clouds the memory). I didn't dry the shrimp real well after I washed them so some water went in and cooled it down, that was just a dumb mistake on my part. I was also rushing it and didn't let it heat up enough between the shrimp and veggies, but once again, that was my fault. But all in all, it came out pretty good and it was fun to use the mini egg and the new wok. One nice thing was not having to wear welding gloves to get it done. That handle works out pretty nicely. Can't wait to play around with it some more.

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks delicious, especially since you used some larger shrimp! Now you have me thinking about Chinese carryout for lunch... :lol:

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks great! I was thinking of stir fry tomorrow night on the Egg....Been awhile :)

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice! What type and brand of noodles do you use?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin, that is a work of art-- Beautiful! I am also a huge fan of those mini corn on the cobs. They really crack me up. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Looks awesome, although I have to admit its the first time I've seen Bourbon paired with stir fry. But hey, who am I to argue with success? Well done.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Dyal - I can probably check when I get home. I just picked up some noodles in the oriental section. They said stir fry noodles. Were yellow, not like rice noodles. Only took 3 minutes to cook in boiling water.

beercuer - I've always loved those mini cobs, as well.

scorched - yeah, bourbon doesn't really go with stir fry, but its what I had and what I felt like drinking at the time. What are ya gonna do? Shrug.

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Nice cook Griffin. I have to try some stir fry.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Return to General Discussion