Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Armed and delicious

Armed and delicious

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last week I rearranged my freezers and came across an arm roast from my last bulk beef order, and since I didn't have anything going on Sunday afternoon I figured it would be a good time to cook it.

An arm roast is cut from the chuck so it has nice marbling, but mine also had a couple of bones.
Image Image

I decided to use the tri-tip recipe from page 108 of Weber's Real Grilling even though it's for a complete different cut of meat, because it has simple seasonings.

I prepped the roast in the morning and let it rest in the fridge for a few hours.
Image Image

The fire was set up with a mix of used charcoal, fresh hardwood briquettes, and some oak branches from the yard. Cook temperature was generally in the 325-350 range since I wasn't looking to really smoke it because of time considerations, and this is what it looked like after about 3 hours.

Usually I like my beef fairly rare but I wanted to try something different this time. I figured that with the marbling and connective tissue the meat would stay pretty moist so I shot for a final temp of 160 in order to get the roast quite done but not so done that it could be shredded.
Image Image

I let it rest in foil for about an hour and that really made a difference. I had cut off a small piece after it initially came off the grill and it wasn't all that moist, but the rested meat was a different story and was actually quite good with the celery seed adding a nice subtle flavor. And now I have plenty of leftovers for the week; I'm thinking of simmering some of it with store-bought gravy and serving it over rice.

Brad

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Lookin' mighty tasty, Brad. Thanks for sharing your experiment. I know just what you mean about the magic of foiling. Celery seed (or salt) works wonders on grilled chicken as well, I find. Do you suppose you might save some leftovers for a Stroganov? :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Do you suppose you might save some leftovers for a Stroganov? :D

+1! Love a good smoked stroganof...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:29 am
BBQ Deputy

That does sound like a good idea - thanks! I'll have to poke around the 'net to see what I can find for recipes.

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks like last weekend was roast time.

My Venison shoulder roast turned out very good (Sorry no pictures)

I did some of the last Sweet banana peppers too, stuffed with Cream cheese - 4 mexican cheese blend - diced jalapeno peppers - my pork rub and spicy turkey sausage (pre-cooked)

Thanks for sharing Brad

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Brad, if I may... look for a recipe that calls for sour cream and mushrooms. It's just a fabulous combination. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 am
BBQ Deputy

The one at simplyrecipes.com does just that. It was the first one that Google found. :wink:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I did not mean specifically that one, Brad. But that one will work. I wanted to go check it out for you because I know there are countless variations, some much better than others. If you like that recipe, great. You can also get by without the tarragon and nutmeg if you like, but I would highly recommend going with say 12 oz rather than 8 oz on the sour cream, or you might be wishing for more sauce. You can also work in a little bit of flour into the mix to thicken up the sauce. Just some ideas... all up to you of course. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:07 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looking good Brad. Nothing like a hunk beef . I just got back from the store now I want to go back and get a hunk of beef.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:04 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thursday night I used the rest of the roast to make beef stroganoff, which started with warming the beef and rendering some fat in some melted butter. Then I took the beef out and cooked the shallots in the fat and butter before adding some more butter and the mushrooms, and eventually I finished it with the sour cream. Good stuff, and not at all difficult to make!
Image Image Image

Post Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Niiiiiiiice!-- and with shallots yet! Actually, tarragon is another fancy ingredient. You sure got me wantin' Brad. I'm so glad you got to have it. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion