Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Six months with the Chargriller Kamodo

Six months with the Chargriller Kamodo

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Ive had my inexpensive Kamodo ($300) for six months & have cooked a lot of meals on it.
The cooker is an insulated steel kamodo.
It has an interior fire sleeve that protects the wall of the cooker from direct heat & the sleeve & the interior wall of the cooker are porceloin coated.
It's built onto a cart with wheels & 2 side shelves.
It has a 20 inch cast iron main grate & a 14 in upper grate.
It will cook a lot, 40 lbs of butt, or 5 whole chickens , a whole brisket & a butt, or 8 racks BB ribs.
It's a good smoker , will run 15 hours without refueling..
It " likes " to run about 250 - 290 F , their is a fine line trying to run 225F between keeping the temp there & the fire going out. The insulated cookers require so little fire torun 200-225Fthat the fire may not be self sustaining.
It's a good grill gets plenty hot to sear & cook quickly.
You can smoke then sear on it ( my favorite way of cooking steaks, burgers & chops) but takes a little gymnastics , not as easy as my Horizonal cooker.
I took the insides out to clean & inspect the firebox sleeve & interior & no signs rust, chipping of porceloin etc. only problems I've had we're a couple bolts loosing & replaced with locking nuts & burned up a gasket with a grease fire, took 2 minutes to replace & they sent me one free.
I like this cooker & I'll probably use a lot in cold weather.
I could easily use as my only cooker if space or other considerations kept me from having specialized cookers.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Griffin well done
well done

Good to hear. I've been wondering how those have been holding up for people. I wanted to look at one, but never found one to see in person.

How did you get 8 racks of bb ribs on there? I'd like to see that.

lostarrow well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Good to hear. I've been wondering how those have been holding up for people. I wanted to look at one, but never found one to see in person.

How did you get 8 racks of bb ribs on there? I'd like to see that.

6 racks in my weber rib racking bottom layer & 2 racks draped over 14 in upper rack.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Next time you take it apart you should take a few pics...it'd be interesting to see what it looks like when it's broken down. Did you have to assemble it yourself after you bought it?

jfm0830 well done
well done

I'm really glad to hear that the CG is working out for you. Cooking on a Kamado cooker is really wonderful. I had that grill in my sites until the unexpected Apple stock dividend came around. I decided to go with the BGE because it was more of a sure thing, in that the CG was still kind of on the new side. But I'm glad to hear it's working out for you because it looked like it was a pretty well-made piece of gear. Continued good luck and good cooks.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion