Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Post Holiday Diet

Post Holiday Diet

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:41 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Alright I know that this is blasphemy but I'm already starting to think about a post holiday diet. See I've been eating too well. Especially with the help from all of you. Now the problem is the pants are starting to get snug. But I won't give up my grill. I couldn't handle Atkins either. So does anybody have any suggestions on diets or at least healthy recipes that will let me keep grilling 4+ nights a week and not have to buy new pants? I know excercise is a good option but about all I do is play with my dawg and 12 ounce curls.

I'm sorry to put a damper on everybodys holiday spirits...

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:36 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I've been watching my weight before the holidays so I won't have to during the Season. Eating less is almost impossible when you have good grilled food. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to this, because everyone is different. I can remember about 10 years ago, I gained 11 lbs. in the 2 weeks during the holidays. I REFUSE to let that happen again, and so far, it never has. As difficult as it is....gotta eat less..

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:35 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I do have the same expanding waste line problem…..Oh to be 22 again. My rule is that if it’s white, don’t eat it. This obviously leaves out potatoes……….my favorite carb…Alas.

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:19 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

If you're interested in losing weight eating less is not the only bad news. :cry:

We also must get off the couch and burn a few carbs off. :wink:

Exercise is key to a healthy diet...or so I hear!

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:07 pm
chagan well done
well done

Eating less carbs is a really good option. I once lost 18 pounds that way over a short time. I got it all back 'cause I fell off the program- it's hard to cut out carbs when you spend the holidays over at the Italian in-laws house. But, this year for my resolution, I plan on dropping all the excess poundage. I love the Atkins diet- eat pretty much as much as you want of any protein just keep away from the bread, pasta, etc. Steak and eggs for breakfast, burgers and dogs for lunch, porterhouse for dinner-I think I can handle that! In reality though there are several guidelines to follow to be successful:

-eat 5 or 6 smaller meals during the day; this will increase your metabolism
-DRINK PLENTY OF WATER; most people skip this part thinking it is not important, but this is paramount as the water is used to metabolize the pounds you want to lose.
-Build some muscle mass- (this means that you may have to switch to 16, 32, or 40 ouncers G.S.)Adding muscle will allow you to burn more calories at rest than you would otherwise. This means your body becomes less efficient which is what you want to happen to lose the weight.
-Do something that is aerobic- this means doing something that is strenuous enough to increase your heart rate and breathing but is not to strenuous so that you are unable to carry on a conversation while performing the activity. (Aerobic vs. Anaerobic)

I hear that they are comming out with low carb breads now- this could tie it all together. I just hope that they start with the potato roll and go from there.

Cheers.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:22 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Well I am of the opinion that chicken breast should only be cooked on a grill and that fish is best when grilled... oh wait. Both can be fried rather nicely. But that wouldn't help you out much now will it?
Live Different

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:38 pm
MaxDog rare
rare

Except for the low carb thing, I'm with chagan: small frequent meals, a little weight training and some aerobic (walk the dog -- mine loves to listen to my bbq ideas. I swear, his head snaps around if I say "rib-eye".)

The whole low-carb thing seems like just another way of saying "low calorie". People lose weight on Atkins because they monitor their caloric intake and eat fewer calories. If eating fewer carbs makes it easier for you -- great.

Grilling is a fabulous way of packing a lot of flavor into a little food. Luke mentioned chicken breast and fish. How about zukes, mushrooms and onions with a little olive oil, salt and pepper? Grilled red peppers & onions make anything taste good.

As for eating frequently, my wife and I fell into a habit from her childhood. I think the brits would call it having tea -- I don't have a name for it. She prepares a light "dinner" about the time I get home from work -- usually soup or a composed salad -- just something to stave off hunger. Then two maybe three hours later we have supper-- something bigger, more satisfying. By staving off my initial hunger, I'm less likely to go overboard at supper.

Good luck to ya Grand Scale -- hope ya keep bbq'n (and posting here) for a long time to come.
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:39 am
chagan well done
well done

For the scientific reason on why the low-carb thing works we have to realize the role that carbs provide in metabolism. In a individual. carbs provide the catalyst for breaking down the fuel from other forms of intake that we get. Basically it is the fire to the coal that provides instant energy. The body needs this catalyst to break down to food we injest. Yes- carbs do contain colories, but that is not the benefit that we are looking for when we cut down on carbs. For those of us looking to drop a few pounds, cutting out the carbs leaves the body short on the "fire" required to burn the fuel we injest. In it's absence, the body turns to stored energy-fat, to take over the role of the missing player. This is why carbs are targeted.
In addition, another good point of advice is to never eat too late in the day. The general rule is not to eat after 9PM, however this may vary between individuals. Eating at this time- when the body is normally shutting down- will tend to add these calories in the stored energy column.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:08 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Eating late in the day is my biggest downfall. Leftovers, snacks, etc., late at night is where I could lose a few pounds if I just didn't eat after 7:00 p.m. :lol:

Return to General Discussion