Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Flanken-cut beef short ribs

Flanken-cut beef short ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am
Griffin well done
well done

Saw some of these at Sam's the other day while picking up some bb ribs for my cousin. Wasn't sure what to do with them, but grabbed them anyway knowing I could figure out something.

Sunday, they went into a marinade of soy sauce, beer, sugar, toasted sesame oil, garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes. They swam around in that for about 8 hours.

When it was time to cook them, I drained the marinade and sprinkled some Argentine rub on them, then tossed them on the Egg at 450. A few minutes on one side, flip and a few minutes more on the other.

I think it was a combination of the marinade and the fat dripping off, but a few second after lifting the lid, it was like a raging inferno, but I fought through it.

I had my parents over for dinner and everybody was really pleased with the flavor. A real intense beef flavor with an underlying sweet and salty flavor from the sugar and soy sauce. And the beef was extremely tender. So tasty. We'll be doing these again. I'd like to play around with them and see what other flavor combinations I can come up with.

Since we missed Dad's B-Day party earlier this month (he was in the hospital), I also whipped up his favorite for dessert. A pineapple upside down cake. He's never had this version or one cooked on the Egg and he loved it. I sent the rest of it home with him.

All in all, a pretty good Sunday afternoon.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hope your dad's doing better, Griffin.

The short ribs and cake look great and the party was an excellent idea, too!

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks. he had back surgery and wasn't doing godd for awhile. All of a sudden, things turned around and he's been pain free for 1 week, no meds at all. Was a bit scary to see him all doped up. I remember going the very same thing a few years back (minus the suregery).

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Glad that your dad is recovering from his surgery. Good looking eats. Funny thing about short ribs, when cut for Flanken, they can be braised or the way you prepared them which is similar to Korean style short ribs.

I prefer the short ribs cut 2" wide x about 4" long. I brown them and braise them with onions, celery, carrots, red wine, etc. for about 3 hours. if you prepare them the day ahead, you can skim off a large amount of fat prior to reheating.

Nice cake.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

What a way to treat your old man!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks, Dyal.

Joe - I've done them a similar way. I smoke roasted them for a bit on my Egg, then braised them in a dutch oven and they were tasty. Need to do them again.

Braised Short Ribs in a Red Wine Sauce

Return to General Discussion