Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Family Gathering BBQ

Family Gathering BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

My cousins and I rented a horse ranch on Saturday for a family gathering that we have been planning since early summer. I offered to BBQ for the event and then everybody else brought sides and desserts and such. I started cooking briskets on Thursday, pork butts on Friday and some pork loins early Saturday morning. I was so busy trying to get everything prepped and cooked that I never got any pictures of the process, but only the eating part. :) I had never taken on a cook this large and my biggest concern was heating everything back up Saturday afternoon in time to eat without drying it out. There was a large smoker on site at the horse ranch we rented and I was told I could use it if I wanted. I ended up building a fire in it a few hours before eatin' time and just put all of the meat in tightly covered foil pans in there to warm. It ended up working out very nicely, and the only thing really lost was the nice, pink coloring of the meat. Flavor and moisture was retained and that was the most important part. All in all, it was a success and we were able to bring together about 50 family members who had slowly drifted apart over the years. This will definitely not be our last as we have already begun to plan a float grip down the Guadalupe River this coming June. Anyhow, here were some pics from the day:

Trail Ride

My Uncle rebuilt this Farmall Tractor from a rust-bucket and brought it out to the ranch for a hayride
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:27 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Will you adopt me in time for the river trip?

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like everybody had a great time! Did any old family feuds resurface? :wink:

And kudos to you for pulling off the cook!

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Love that 3rd pic! :lol: Great spread, Tex!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion