Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What is a riblet?

What is a riblet?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I think I've seen these maybe once in a grocery store, down in South Texas. Never had them, never cooked them. According to Wikipedia "A riblet is an alternative to ribs. The actual riblet is the portion of a loin back rib (or baby back rib) that is cut off at the top (nearest the back bone) to give the rib a more uniform look. " Ok, sure, whatever. Mr. O brought some of these down to the river this past weekend and we cooked them up on his Mini Egg while doing the brats on mine. He said they were pre-marinated, so they went straight from the bag to the grill. We cooked them at about 450 for probably about 10 minutes or so, just till they got a nice char on them. Not sure on the time as the ice cold beverages had been flowing all day.

450F with mesquite chips for smoke

Both Eggs going, riblets on one, brats on the other.

Just about done

They came out pretty good, I think. Not a lot of meat per bone and we would have needed a bunch more if not for the brats and the sides, but they would make a great mid game snack for sure. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for these in the future.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:26 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I get riblets once in a while when they go on sale.

Last time I got 10# for $12 and made a great party appetizer for the 20 people we had for a Potluck style party at work.

I did mine on the CG smoked for 4 hours then next day at the party I heated up in a nesco

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like "riblet" is a fancy name for the trimmings left behind when ribs are cut St. Louis-style. Whatever they are, you definitely did 'em up right!

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Sounds like "riblet" is a fancy name for the trimmings left behind when ribs are cut St. Louis-style. Whatever they are, you definitely did 'em up right!

That's exactly what they are up here - pork rib trimmings. Not bad, but also not my first choice as they can sometimes be either tough or stringy.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We've always called them rib tips.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:14 pm
Griffin well done
well done

No, the weren't the trimmings. Had actual bones, small ones, not cartilage. And not rip tips either.

Return to General Discussion