Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Home-made Fresh Bratwurst

Home-made Fresh Bratwurst

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am
Griffin well done
well done

Mrs. G and I actually made these up a few weeks ago, but by the time we were done, we didn't feel like cooking any of them up, let alone eating any sausage. We stuffed about 12 pounds of sausage that day, 6 lbs of brats and 6 lbs of Russian Sausage. Let me tell you, a dedicated sausage stuffer is on my Christmas list now, possibly a Dakota.

Started off by grinding up our pork butt

Mixed in our seasonings

Stuffed the casings

We first got to try it down at the river this weekend. On the Mini Egg at 350F with some apple wood chips for smoke.

Amost done

Finished

Look at all that juice!

We were very pleased with our first attempt at Bratwurst. They had a great flavor, were nice and juicy and had a good snap from the hogs casing. They weren't exactly like a Johnsonville (that's not what we were aiming for), but more like the ones we got in Germany in August. They had a finer texture (due to the grinder attachement we used) and a richer flavor due to the eggs and milk. Good stuff for sure.

The recipe can be found HERE if you are interested plus more pics and the rest of the story.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Looks great, Griffin! A dedicated stuffer really does make life easier.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:33 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Looks great!

I'll expect my X-mas sample package in the mail :lol: 8)

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looking real good Griffin. Been a while since I busted out my Dakotah stuffer. I have to go check out your recipe.
Thanks
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Can't wait to eat in your restaurant! Bravo, sir!!! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job! I was curious about the milk and eggs and did some checking, and it looks like they're popular ingredients in bockwurst.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess the ingredients are kind of similar to bockwurst (and weiswurst), but it really didn't taste like either of those. (both of which I ate in Germany back in August). It tasted like bratwurst, just a richer, fuller flavor.

Return to General Discussion