Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion HELP REQUESTED: Cooking a bunch of bacon wrapped dogs

HELP REQUESTED: Cooking a bunch of bacon wrapped dogs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Hey,

I have to cook between 60-90 bacon wrapped hot dogs this Friday. The problem is I have limited grill space. I am looking for ideas how to speed up the process a little bit.

In the past, I would just wrap the bacon around the dogs, and skewer them with three toothpicks each. The good news is the bacon stayed on the dogs. The bad news is that since I was doing this on a grill, even though it was well-oiled, they would either stick, or even at lower temps some of the bacon would get well done, and some not so much. Plus I am constantly either reminding people to take out the toothpicks.

I read over the summer that some folks cook them in pans on the grill. The pan and tension of the other dogs keeps the bacon on the dogs without using toothpicks. The bad news is this seems to slow the cooking process, and the pans take up a lot of valuable grill space.

One way to speed up the process I thought about par cooking the bacon say 250 degrees in the oven for five to ten minutes. Then chilling the bacon, wrapping it around the dogs, and finishing them in the grill pans on the grill the next day. I am leery about par cooking anything, but especially meat. Does anyone know if this would be ok? Does anyone have suggestions for speeding up the cooking process, but not serving raw and/or well done dogs?

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What if you cooked them "Raft Style".

Wrap with bacon and then skewer across them like Steven does with asparagrass.

Using 10" sticks you could put 6 or 7 per raft and just turn them all at once.
Then YOU remove the giant toothpicks and you're done..

Just thinkin' out loud.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

cerumen medium-rare
medium-rare

when first place on the grill, you must let the layer touching the grill burn a little so that the bacon fuses together.....
won't come apart, later as you turn them.
Attachments
_MG_9593.jpg
_MG_9593.jpg (240.65 KiB) Viewed 575 times

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YardBurner wrote:
What if you cooked them "Raft Style".

Wrap with bacon and then skewer across them like Steven does with asparagrass.

Using 10" sticks you could put 6 or 7 per raft and just turn them all at once.
Then YOU remove the giant toothpicks and you're done..

Just thinkin' out loud.

I was thinking the same thing only with full-length skewers. Plus seconds can be served Fogo de Chao-style!

Since we're being creative here, remember the Primal Grill episode where Steven cooked salmon on stakes in front of a campfire? The same thing sould be done with hot dogs and the wow factor would be way up there.

Return to General Discussion