Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza-Take 2

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza-Take 2

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

i know I posted one of these about 2 weeks ago, but I made a few tweaks and this one came out even better. I will be making lots of these, but I promise this will be my last post here on them.

I invited my FIL up today for his first Chicago style deep dish pizza. Not the first one I’ve made for him, his first one ever. My first attempt at this two weeks ago came out great, but I was going to make a few tweaks. I let the dough rise a bit longer this time to make it a bit more supple. I added some tomato & basil tomato sauce because I felt the diced tomatoes only in the last one were a bit dry. I also added some sauteed onions & green pepper because my FIL likes that on his pizza.

The first step was to saute some green peppers & onions.

The pizza dough has finished it’s rise and has been stretched out into a disk. The ceramic deep dish pizza pan has been coated with olive oil. The dough goes into the pizza pan & gets covered & rests for 15 minutes.

The pizza dough is in the pizza pan where it gets stretched into it’s final shape and the edges get crimped. The dough rests for an additional15 minutes.

The pizza crust is on the Egg where the crust has partially cooked for 10 minutes. It is now going back to the Kitchen to get topped.

The toppings are prepared & ready to go.

The first step is to mix the diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian pasta seasoning blend, sugar, onions & green pepper.

The finished diced tomato sauce.

The first topping is mozzarella cheese which is fanned out along the bottom of the pizza crust.

This time around I laid down a thin layer of tomato basil sauce...

Next comes the pepperoni...

Next came the diced tomato sauce, green pepper & onions...

The last topping was some parmesan-reggianno cheese.

The topped pizza is back on the Egg and will cook at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.

The pizza is done & will now rest for 15 minutes.

The pizza has rested for 15 minutes & is ready to eat. The smell in the house was amazing & made it tough to wait 15 minutes before cutting into this.

This was my best deep dish pizza yet. Adding the extra tomato basil sauce was a good move. the pizza was a bit more moist & tasty on the inside. This was my best crust yet.

The ceramic deep dish pizza pan gives you a nice even golden brown crust on the bottom. I’d turned the pizza midway through the cooking time and the top was nice & evenly cooked too.

My FIL (& I) loved this pizza. It was my best one yet. He loved the pie-like crust & the stacks of ingredients. These Chicago style deep dish pizzas are almost too easy. As long as I get the Egg to the right temperature and cook the pizza for the called for time, the results are consistently delicious. The pan I have is the old 7” version which has been discontinued in favor of the new 14” dia. ceramic deep dish pizza pan. The new pan seems to finally been out. I have seen it at my BGE dealer where it retails for $45.00.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks great, especially the crust! Now you need to get yourself some smaller pans and branch out into the personal pan pizza market! :wink:

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Coming from a Chicago person I must say that the pizza looks amazing and I would definitely take a few pieces of that!!!!!!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 am
Griffin well done
well done

The only thing wrong I see about that post is:

I will be making lots of these, but I promise this will be my last post here on them.

Otherwise, great looking pizza, Jim!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys for looking and commenting!

Brad:
I was actually thinking of this size being the personal pizza size. I'm still trying to decide whether I should get the 14 inch pan or not.

Eddie:
I lived in the Detroit area for eight years and Chicago style deep dish pizza was very popular there as well. In fact it became my favorite type of pizza. I also went to some of the best places in Chicago too. You want to download that recipe off the BGE website, and you can make an excellent version of it at home.

Griffin:
Thanks buddy for the compliment, but the reality is the deep dish pizzas all look the same from the outside. Since the ingredients go inside and the cheese goes on the top you actually have to cut in to them and expose the fillings to get any difference. I figured most people Would say you've seen one you've seen them all and get bored.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jfm0830 wrote:
I figured most people Would say you've seen one you've seen them all and get bored.
That may be true in a lot of other places but not here! :wink: And if you don't want to take new pics you can always add another post onto an existing thread...

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:32 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Don't stop with the pix! :shock: Great looking pie!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:51 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys. Maybe you all misunderstood me. I'm not going to stop posting pictures , I'm just going to stop posting deep dish pizza pictures. As I said all the goodness is on the inside it ends up getting covered up with topping of cheese so they all end up looking alike. So no way do I feel like it's interesting to keep posting the same thing. I don't see the point. perhaps you guys thought and I wasn't going to post pictures of other things I make, that I still plan to do.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Boy, that looks mighty tasty. I think I should pick up one of the new pans. I'll see if I can buy it online, cause if I go to the local BGE dealer, I may walk out with another Egg. :shock:

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:40 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Boy, that looks mighty tasty. I think I should pick up one of the new pans. I'll see if I can buy it online, cause if I go to the local BGE dealer, I may walk out with another Egg. :shock:
LOL I know exactly the problem you speak of. I'm curious what size you'd get for your second Egg? I started off thinking about adding a small to the arsenal, now I'm thinking it needs to be at least a medium and I'm starting to have dangerous thoughts about getting a large. Part of my rationalization is another large would use the same size Eggessories. I know, I know I've got it bad.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Okay, now we're talkin! What an eggsemplary pie, Jim! Crust is gorgeous. You say this is your second pie. The number 2 reminds me of the joke about "pi r squared" from math.-- Wrong, pie aren't squared. Pie are round. Cornbread are squared. :lol:
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion