Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spiral Cut Hot Dogs

Spiral Cut Hot Dogs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

Not sure where I first saw this, but I remember seeing it in quite a few places on the net back in June and July. We don't eat a lot of hot dogs, but after the ranch last weekend, we had quite a few we needed to get rid of so I thought I would give it a go. The thinking behind it is:

1.It allows the hot dog to cook up straight as an arrow allowing for an even char on all sides.
2.They fit in a bun perfectly.
3.There is more surface area so you get more crispy, caramelized meaty goodness.
4.The threads form little crevices so chunky condiments like onions and relish don’t slide around.
5.It looks cool so it makes a great conversation piece.

Start off by skewering a hot dog. Then take a knife and cut the hot dog diagonally while rolling it away from you.

I like a bit of chili on my dogs, so I threw a cast iron skillet on the to get it warmed up.

Then the dogs

After a few minutes

I plated mine up with some crinkle cut fries, one dog got chili, cheese and mustard, the other got sauerkraut and mustard.

Stacie didn't want hot dogs. Instead she went with weenies and sauerkraut, something she grew up with as a kid. Not sure if its a Czech thing or not. Sometimes she uses brats or sausage. Anyway, cast iron skillet with a bit of butter, throw in some chopped dogs/brats/sausage, allow to brown up, dump in some sauerkraut and allow that to warm up for a bit. Quick, easy, cheap food.

I thought the spiral cut did allow for more char and I was able to get more condiments on my dog without them falling out the back end. Being chili, that may or may not have been a good thing. :wink: All in all, I think it was a successful technique and it only takes a few minutes. I'd probably do it again, not that we eat a lot of hot dogs. Anyway, hope everybody has a great weekend with lots of grilling in store. :D

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've seen that method before, too, but have yet to try it out. Anything that increases the Condiment Retention Factor is OK with me! :lol:

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am
Griffin well done
well done

Good term....Condiment Retention Factor...which will now also be known as CRF. :)

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks good, but I think it is just that area of the world.

My German family does this too with sauerkraut.

One of my favorite is chicken and sauerkraut, same type of thing. You use cast-iron pan and cook chicken thigh (no added oil) and keep the fat from skin and chicken in pan and add sauerkraut after chicken is pretty much cooked.

You can just heat the rest through and serve or as my grandma did make dumplings to put on top and throw in oven (almost makes like biscuit topping)

Thanks for sharing

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:49 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Beercuer will be all over this! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
Beercuer will be all over this! :)

I think I'm gonna be all over it :D My granddaughters love hot dogs, and I'll usually cook some up for them when I'm grilling other stuff they don't eat for the adults. Still, I enjoy a good dog too and this definitely looks like it would be a fun and interesting way to do them. Love the idea Griffin!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:01 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Wow - another great idea I'm going to try. Amazing what you can pick up around these parts. Thanks for the tip.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

I've done this with dogs several times since I've seen it with great results. I'm now going to try the technique on pork tenderloin. I expect the same principles would apply to that cut..
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

im going to have to give that a try its defentley something diffrent
TIMS BBQ

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

timbarber84 wrote:
im going to have to give that a try its defentley something diffrent

the kraut and dogs where something i grew up on to i like it with hot sauce
TIMS BBQ

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Man, what a concept! Love it! Gonna definitely give this one a try.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 am
harry_canyon well done
well done

We did these last night. My 6 year old daughter thought they were very cool! :lol: (As did I.)

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Well that's a nifty little trick. Very nice. Food looks great, btw.

Return to General Discussion