Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Venison In My Future

Venison In My Future

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:57 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

OT, sort of. Got a nice 8 point this morning. Should get lots of cube steaks, ground meat, and brats off this one. The processor also makes hot dogs, so I'll be giving those a try too.

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Two questions: Have you ever made venison before? And Have you ever made venison on the Egg before? Looking forward to the picture posts for future cooks.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Two questions: Have you ever made venison before? And Have you ever made venison on the Egg before? Looking forward to the picture posts for future cooks.

Jim

Yep, I've made venison plenty of times, but never on the Egg. Hopefully I'll have some deer brats on the Egg by game time next Saturday.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Woohoo! Congratulations, Dyal! How about plans for venison jerkey??? :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What's the current season in SC right now? Arrow or black powder? Or are shotguns and rifles permitted?

I don't mind venison landjaegers but otherwise I never really developed a taste for it. I like my meat like I like my women: highly domesticated! :twisted: :lol:

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:05 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

BC, great idea! I will definitely request som jerky.

SC, I am in Zone 3 of SC. Rifles are permitted from August 15th until January 1st. I shot this one at 100 yards with my .270. The processor that I'm using is known to make some good stuff, plus we've been fattening them up with quality food. Hopefully it won't taste all that gamey. ;).
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Sign @ Dyal's camp
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Haha! I forget that baiting deer in other states is illegal. It's legal here in SC, at least in my Game Zone. I think it's illegal in upstate SC though. We bait each stand (21 stands total on about 700 acres) with corn every week, and each member is responsible for one week out of the season...my week came up a few weeks back. Glad I knocked it out....it was back breaking! Spread out fifteen 75 lb bags over the 21 stands. Glad I don't have to do that again...

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 am
Griffin well done
well done

Congrats on your haul, Dyal!! I gotta say....we wouldn't even have shot that one yet down at the ranch. Would have given it more time to fill out. Somebody supposedy saw a big 10 pointer this weekend, but all I ever saw were some small does and a tiny spike, not that any of us had any guns for deer.

Can you send me some of them deer brats? :wink:

P.S. deer baiting is legal down in south texas area. All of Texas I think, but don't quote me on that.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am
Trollby well done
well done

Congrats!

I love to make the roast like a prime rib (boneless).

I use the same rub and cook to rare to medium-rare. Great on the smoker

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin, the deer are bigger in Texas. We get decent sized white tails in SC, but nothing like some other states. But it was a fairly young buck, I agree. It was hard to judge though at 100 yards. :lol:

Trollby, I just placed my order today. I told the lady to just cube up the tenderloins....figured I'd wait until I get a doe to leave the tenderloins whole. Bucks can be slightly more gamey, so I figure cubing it up would be the way to go. I ordered cube steak, ground meat, bratwursts, hot dogs and a boneless ham. Figured I'd make my own deer jerky out of one of the hams.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion