Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Kettle as a Mangal

Weber Kettle as a Mangal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This idea popped in my head and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I have several Mangal grills (Kabob grills) for grateless cooking, but this also adds more options to my toolbox for such application.
I placed a small drip pan in the center of the Weber grate and aligned the skewers in a circular fashion around it resting one edge of the skewers on the drip pan and the opposite end on the rim of the grill.
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting
A small cast iron pan would also work for this application. I’ve done the two brick configuration, but I could only fit few skewers with that method. Using this method I could fit more than 30 skewers at the same time :)
Sorry, no food yet, but this application would be good for Kabobs, Spiedini, Yakitori…etc.
This proves how versatile the Weber Kettle can be :D

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:30 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Very cool! I bet this would work well for smaller kabobs using the Smokey Joe too.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 am
mbshop well done
well done

great idea ! i never thought of that cuz its to simple.
george
spam, can't live without it.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

mbshop wrote:
great idea ! i never thought of that cuz its to simple.
Same here! :lol:

Seems like it would be a good idea to have the center stand be the correct height to keep the skewers level all the way around. Z, you should suggest this idea to Weber to see if they'd be interested in making a kit that includes the stand (with skewer notches) and skewers. The nice thing is that if it's designed for the 22" kettle it'll also work on the 18" and 14" models as well.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Dyal,
This would work with any round shape grill.

Brad,
I did think of making a ring with skewer notches. I also though it would be nice to have an inner and outer ring for the skewers would rest on.
Here is a diagram of what I mean (sorry about the primitive art)

ImageFree Image Hosting

Weber makes these skewer rings that are available in Europe only. I don’t think having the skewers sit sideways is an efficient use of the space. They should take advantage of the round shape of the grill.

ImageFree Image Hosting

May be we should ask Steven to make it :)

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used a pair of foil-covered bricks on my Smokey Joe and new gasser with similar results. Not as good-looking, though. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 am
mbshop well done
well done

i like simple, i squeak when i roll ! if weber makes it they will probably mess it up and charge $$$$$$$$$$.
the one in europe is for the bigger cuts of meat that are popular over there.
george
spam, can't live without it.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Cool rig Z! I can't wait to see those skewers filled with colorful kebab goes intas. That'll make one beautiful picture.

Canada:
Maybe I missed it but what did you end up getting for new gas grill? I know you've been talking about possibly getting one for a while now. I never saw what you actually went well.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion