Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hamburger Steaks!!!

Hamburger Steaks!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Haven't had one of these since I was a kid...neither has Mrs. Dyal. We both had them all the time growing up, and we both hated them. :lol: So we were hesitant about even giving them a go tonight, but we are glad we did. They were ridiculously good! :) No offense to our Mommas, but we feel like we did a better job on ours tonight. :wink: Sorry, Mommas....

The Hamburger Steaks got dusted down with the Salt Lick Original Seasoning that Griffin sent me awhile back. It complimented the meat perfectly!! The Onions got a little bit of the Salt Lick, as well as a light sprinkle of corn starch. I think it was either jsperk or jstewert that gave me this tip awhile back for caramelized onions. Thanks a bunch, because it made a big difference! We got great results!

I threw the Hamburger Steaks on a preheated cast iron skillet (around 350 deg f) until they were finished. While they were cooking, I added a splash or two of beer to help the outside caramelize a little bit, and so I could scrape up a little bit of charred goodness from Salt Lick and Hamburger from the bottom of the skillet.

After those were finished, I took them off and poured most of the burger fat into a mug. I left some fat in there though to cook the onions.

My wife made some Oven Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans to go with. We also made some Homemade Beef and Mushroom Gravy to go on top.

It's been since we were kids since we had these, but we are now placing them back on the rotation. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Absolutely beautiful Dyal!!
Comfort food at it’s best :)
Reminds me of some of the sliders I saw on the food network few days ago.

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 pm
TheRod medium
medium

I don't think I've even seen those before. I remember having choppe steak as a kid, but I don't think I've seen or eaten burger steaks. What cut of beef is it? I'm interested now...
22" Performer

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks like a heart warming good meal. Nice job. :D

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:04 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Those remind me of Salisbury steaks, Dyal. Oooh, they look delicious! You really got me yearning again! :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 am
Griffin well done
well done

I'm gonna say that I don't think I've ever heard of hamburger steak before either. Chopped steaks, yes. Salisbury steak, yes. But not hamburger. A little more info, plz?

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
After those were finished, I took them off and poured most of the burger fat into a mug. I left some fat in there though to cook the onions.
And then you drank what was in the mug, right? :twisted:

They look great but like the others I'm not really sure what a "hamburger steak" is. I've heard the term before but when I was growing up "steak" was what we wanted and "hamburger" was what we got... :lol:

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Outstanding Dyal!!!!!!!! I absolutely love hamburger steaks, and I'm actually surprised that so many are unfamiliar with them. Your's look fantastic!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
I'm gonna say that I don't think I've ever heard of hamburger steak before either. Chopped steaks, yes. Salisbury steak, yes. But not hamburger. A little more info, plz?

Add me to the camp of this as well....

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:27 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, y'all! Hmm....must be a regional thing. I thought that hamburger steaks were common. They are just what they sound like....ground hamburger meat formed into whatever shape and however big you prefer. Then it's usually topped with caramelized onions (maybe some peppers) and gravy... Very simple meal...something Ma used to make regularly since it was cheap but full of protein.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:00 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thanks, y'all! Hmm....must be a regional thing. I thought that hamburger steaks were common. They are just what they sound like....ground hamburger meat formed into whatever shape and however big you prefer. Then it's usually topped with caramelized onions (maybe some peppers) and gravy... Very simple meal...something Ma used to make regularly since it was cheap but full of protein.

Yep, we've always served them over mashed potatoes topped with lots of onions and mushrooms and a good gravy. Good stuff there!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I'll eat anything with some sauteed onions and mushrooms and gravy....

Return to General Discussion