Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Flap Meat And Beans

Flap Meat And Beans

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Time to close out the summer and cover the pit, right? (NOT). Carne asada is just too delicious to pass up. And if you want to go the more classic and traditional route, flap meat is the ideal way to go. Check out this package

See the label? On a side note, check out the label== Notice this package came from a store called "Smart & Final." Well, some folks around here refer to this store as "Fart & Smile." :D

Anyway, on with the cook. First thing is to apply a generous rub of carne asada seasoning on the meat and let marinate in lime juice (in this case, I let it go for about 5 hours.

Off to prep the pit. I used all natural hardwood briquets, topped with mesquite lump for the authentic flavoring. Here I should mention that I go with the indirect grilling method taught to me by a friend who made the best carne in the world (in my thinking).

Sooner or later it's done.

Yay, eats time! Plated it up with homemade refried beans on a flour tortilla, and salsa, blue corn chips and avocado. I like to roll my beans up in the tortilla. Silly me took the photo before the final touch of shredded cheese atop the beans. Meal made for a lovely Sunday treat. :D

Got beer???

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Absolutely beautiful BC!!
I’ve done flap meat once or twice and I was very impressed with the flavor.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks great, BC! There's a Hispanic market not too far from my office; I should check it out for flap meat, skirt steak, etc. sometime. Flank steak was "clearance priced" at $5.79/lb at the store yesterday... :(

First it was the butter beans, now these...the Smog Police are going to be coming after you! :lol:

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That's one fine looking spread! How do you make your homemade refried beans?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Nicely done beercuer! It looks like everything is done to perfection. I'm gonna take the high road and leave the flatulence jokes behind us.

Now just because it isn't the end of grilling season for most of us, that doesn't mean we can't go to the stores who are putting crazy "end of season" sale prices on grills, grilling accessories and charcoal. Some stores around here are practically giving charcoal away. Sadly my brand is not one of them. Probably because it is more for serious grillers.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice plate up beercuer. 8)

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:19 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you everyone for your kindness!

Dyal-- My recipe for refried beams is simple, but spot on tasty. Can't beat homemade-- secret is to use chicken stock instead of water. Ingredients include

1 lb dry pinto beans
4 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 level Tbs salt (minus 1/4 tsp).
period

Cover beans with lots of water to let soak over night and swell. Drain water and rinse beans. Put beans in Dutch oven or heavy saucepan with chicken stock. Heat on medium till boiling. Reduce heat to simmer, covered, for a few hours or more until whenever the beans are readily mashed with a masher or hand mixer. Add the salt. Done. Now is the best time to add whatever other ingredients you desire for whatever recipe, like onions or garlic or jalapenos, etc., or even just plain. :D

Jim-- Very well..., but it's always a gas to joke with you., a real blast. Then I probably shouldn't mention that from this very same store, I also got those large Hass avocados. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion