Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Piri Piri Wings

Piri Piri Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

First time I've tried these and actually the first time I've ever made wings on the Egg. Wow these are some fabulous wings and the flavor is just amazing!

Here are some pictures :)

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

On the left side are just some wings that were sprinkled with salt and pepper and then will later be tossed in a sweet BBQ sauce (for my oldest son and Mom) and on the right were the Piri Piri wings.

This is the piri wings coming off the Egg. They were nice and crispy before I put the glaze on them...I rolled them in corn starch before hand

THe picture isn't the best but this is after shaking them around in the glaze

My youngest son approves and he had several of the Piri Piri wings and most of the Sweet BBQ sauce ones. Anything with Bleu Cheese dressing he'll devour

Earlier I had a special treat for myself. This is some strong beer and it's even better when it gets warmer...But wow did it pack a punch!

Those wings were fabulous and that sauce would be great on any type of Chicken. I could just taste every flavor and I didn't have the piri piri sauce I just used Crystal's Hot Sauce which Raichlen recommends.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Your stove looks just like mine, Ed! :lol:

I like how your wings turned out. I'm definitely going to have to try the cornstarch method soon.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I had read somewhere that DyalSC does it and if he does it then it must be the way to do it! It certainly did help....

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:44 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Yessir! Those look outstanding! I've never added the corn starch to the piri piri wings, but will have to give it a try next time.

EddieK1376 wrote:
I had read somewhere that DyalSC does it and if he does it then it must be the way to do it! It certainly did help....

:lol: :lol: You need to tell that to Mrs. Dyal. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:53 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Those are some fine looking wings Eddie! Piri, Piri wings are one of my three favorite wing recipes. Keep checking the stores in your area for the sauce. It took me a while but I finally found one store that had not one, but two brands of Piri Piri Sauce.

I suppose this question is directed at Dyal, since he is the resident expert on cornstarch. How much cornstarch you add for a typical batch of wings? TIA

Jim

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Jim, I can promise you I'm no expert. ;) I just give them a light dusting...just sort of eyeball it until the moisture is sucked up a bit. If I'm going to sauce at the end, I go a little heavier with the baking powder / corn starch.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looking good, Eddie. I'm with a few of the others....piri-piri is one of my favorites and Mrs. G's for sure.

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Eddie those wings look awesome!!
I know what you mean about cornstarch, I’ve been using it on wings and fish for years and it does wonder. Also if you’re into frying, try replacing a quarter of your flour with cornstarch and you’ll have much crispier fried food.

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Thanks all! And thanks to Dyal for helping out my issues with my account...I was locked out for about a day and a half and I was starting to have nervous twitches :)

Return to General Discussion