Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wings...(pix)

Wings...(pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Decided to give a recipe from the BGE Cookbook a try tonight. It was the Mesquite Lemon-Pepper Wings with Creamy Feta Dressing recipe. Except I didn't use mesquite, I used cherry wood. I also added some corn starch for the crispiness factor and grilled them up differently. I personally like the indirect setup at around a 375-400 deg f dome temp.

My wife bought a bunch of wings, so we also made some Buffalo Ranch Wings...those were crazy good too.

The Lemon Pepper Wings are on the left, and the Buffalo Ranch Wings are on the right....those will get tossed in the sauce once finished.

The Lemon Pepper wings got brushed with the mixture of Lemon Zest / EVOO throughout the cook.

Here are the Buffalo Ranch Wings finished. The corn starch gave them a nice and crispy fried skin...

The Lemon Pepper Wings are on the left, the Creamy Feta Dressing is in the middle, and the Buffalo Ranch Wings are on the far right.

So good... :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Tasty looking wings indeed. :D

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:41 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Shazam!-- You're da man, Dyal! Certainly, you are a wing expert. You ould put "Wing Stop" out of business, I'm a thinkin'. Plated up real nicely, too. In particular, I'd luv to try the lemon wings.
Got beer???

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Outstanding looking cook. I'm thinking wings might be good for my Sunday cook. Haven't had them in awhile.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:42 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Nice looking wings Dyal. I did these Lemon-Pepper wings a few weeks ago and the high heat direct cooking method in the recipe was a real handful. The difference between cooked and burnt was the blink of an eye. I felt at times like I needed 3 or 4 hands. Long way of saying: I think I like the looks of your indirectly cooked version of these wings better than mine. Nicely done!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, lady and gents!

jfm0830 wrote:
Nice looking wings Dyal. I did these Lemon-Pepper wings a few weeks ago and the high heat direct cooking method in the recipe was a real handful. The difference between cooked and burnt was the blink of an eye. I felt at times like I needed 3 or 4 hands. Long way of saying: I think I like the looks of your indirectly cooked version of these wings better than mine. Nicely done!

Jim

Man, it's been a rough couple of weeks for me. I knew you made these, but it didn't donn on me when I was staring at my BGE cookbook, nor when I made this post. I just did a search, pulled up your post, and even saw where I posted about having to try the feta dressing. Jeeze Louise, I must be losing my mind. :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:59 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking wings Dyal!!
Corn starch works very well with the wings :)
+1 on indirect method for wings

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks great, Dying. How do you make the buffalo ranch wings?

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So the cornstarch was just added as an additional rub ingredient? I've seen it used for breading that's going into the fryer but using it for grilled food is a new one for me.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
So the cornstarch was just added as an additional rub ingredient? I've seen it used for breading that's going into the fryer but using it for grilled food is a new one for me.
Actually Brad if you think about it, doing it indirect like this it's really no different than cooking in your oven. I suppose the one difference is you can add smoke out on the grill, but in terms of cooking methods this is no different than doing it in an oven. And I definitely heard of using it for oven baked foods.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, fellas'...

Griffin, my wife whipped up the sauce. It was a mixture of Hot Sauce, Butter, Lemon Juice and Ranch Dressing. It was delicious. The wings themselves just got some Corn Starch and Goya Adobo Seasoning while they were on the grill. Tossed them in the sauce once they were done.

SC, the Buffalo Ranch Wings were dusted a little more heavily with the Corn Starch. I tossed them around in a Ziplock bag until they were coated. They end up like Fried Chicken on the grill. But for the Lemon Pepper Wings, I gave them a lighter dusting...I wanted the other seasonings to stick to the wings.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion