Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cornbread with green chiles and cheese

Cornbread with green chiles and cheese

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

Been a bit slow at our house this week as far as cooking on the Egg. We've (and by we, I mean Mrs. G) done some dishes inside and we tried out a new to us Chinese restaurant last night. Earlier this week, Mrs. G was whipping up some white chicken chili in her crockpot. I decided that some cornbread would go nicely with it and since I've never tried cornbread on the Egg (and because the Egg was being neglected), I figured I'd give it a go. Fired up the egg at 450F with the placesetter legs down and preheated a 8" CI Skillet with a tbsp or 2 of oil in it while whipping up the cornbread.

If you could hear the sizzle as I poured this up...

I set it atop the 3 green feet

Let it go for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick in the center came out clean

Sliced, slathered up with butter and served along with the chicken chili.

Was it necessary to cook it on the Egg? Not really. Was it fun? Sure was. Always good times cooking over charcoal. Unfortunately, the Egg will get neglected again tonight as we head on over to Addison for Oktoberfest, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what everybody else is cooking up this weekend.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That is a really beautiful looking cornbread, Griff! The chicken chili also looks mighty enticing. And together, they have superb comfort written all over them. I am very hungry now. :D
Got beer???

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a fine meal, Griffin! What kind of cheese did you use for the cornbread?

jfm0830 well done
well done

Looking good Griffin. I've made this skillet cornbread several times and it is wonderful. I'm sure you were in for good eats.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks delicious! We were asked to bring bread to a church dinner party last night and your post inspired me to make corn bread muffins. Did them in the oven though since we were pressed for time. I also didn't use the green chiles or cheddar cheese. I had some pepperjack in the fridge, so I used that instead. I did use the creamed corn though like your recipe calls for and it gave the cornbread a great texture. I always use Mexi Corn, but I think I like the creamed corn better. Thanks again! Still need to make Stacie's white chicken chili....gonna give that a go this coming week.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

BBcue-Z well done
well done

Very tasty looking meal Griffin!!
Perfect for this time of the year :)

Griffin well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's a fine meal, Griffin! What kind of cheese did you use for the cornbread?

I used cheddar, but am sure you could use whatever you like or have on hand.

Return to General Discussion