Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion DO Southern Comfort - Butter Beans, Ham, Rice

DO Southern Comfort - Butter Beans, Ham, Rice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh so simple, yet oh sooo good! I don't know what else to say right now, so I'll just let the pics talk.

Okay, I thought of something to say now. This stuff is already delicious and addictive when cooked in the house, but to infuse it with your favorite smoke (in my case, hickory), it's just transcendent. If there ever was a case where looks are deceptive, these humble appearing butterbeans are a classic example. :D

Got beer???

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great looking meal, BC! I agree...adding a little smoke to your favorite comfort foods is always a nice change of pace. Love me some butterbeans!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Well thank you, Dyal :D

Yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about. I failed to mention that I completed the meal with pig skins. I was also going to have collard greens on the side, but I wanted to get back to the Dodgers game. Ah rats,... I should also let folks know that I used homemade chicken stock, not water, in which to simmer the beans. :D

Moreover, before someone takes issue with me, these may more precisely be called lima beans, but I don't want to split hairs. Allow me to indulge the travels of my mind and heart. :D
Got beer???

jfm0830 well done
well done

Comfort Food + Smoke = :D :D :D

I am glad you clarified those were lima beans. I've heard what we called "Wax Beans" (Yellow colored green bean looking beans) called butter beans before, so I was very confused when I saw the picture. Regardless of what you call them, they looked (and I'm sure they ate) excellent!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Griffin well done
well done

I applaud your addition of smoke to the dish. Can't say much else, as I've never had ham and lima beans and don't care much for lima beans, but good job on taking it to another level with smoke.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you Jim and Griffin :D Yeah, it's amazing what a little smoke can do.

Jim-- Regional distinctions sure do cause a lot of confusion and consternation, don't they? Out here we have a yellow waxy bean called "Romano." And so, you'll find things like people who insist for example you cannot cook real Italian food unless you use the San Marzano variety of tomato, etc. Some folk are really sensitive about things like that.

Griffin-- Please consider yourself lucky that you do not care for limas, cause if you did you'd see just how much these things can hook you and become addictive. Ah, so many recipes, so little time. :D
Got beer???

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I didn't care for lima beans when I was young but don't mind them now, and the addition of ham, chicken, and smoke flavors could only make them better!

Some additional information can be found here. Looks like butter beans are a specific kind of lima bean, and around here the smaller green limas are what're usually seen.

tex_toby well done
well done

That's some bring on the cold weather food right there! DEE-licious! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

smokin'gal well done
well done

Now this looks like a good stick-to-your-ribs meal. I bet I could do this by switching out the pork with cubes of my homemade beef bacon. Hmmm...

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Some additional information can be found here. Looks like butter beans are a specific kind of lima bean, and around here the smaller green limas are what're usually seen.]

Brad, thanx for the link. That is helpful. I bet Sir Dyal could have something to say about this. As for the small green limas, they are worlds a part in flavor and texture from the white ones. The white ones have a creamy, buttery flavor where the greens are something bland like a veggie-- broccoli perhaps. Maybe that's why some people don't like them because those are the ones of which they are thinking.

That's some bring on the cold weather food right there! DEE-licious!

Tex, you're not kidding... I flicked on the A/C and made it so :lol: Chopped ham steak in mac 'n cheese also floats my boat. Have you tried that? :D

Now this looks like a good stick-to-your-ribs meal. I bet I could do this by switching out the pork with cubes of my homemade beef bacon. Hmmm...

"Adapt, improvise, overcome"-- Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I'd love to see that if you do, SG. Man, I'd luv to try that trick with beef even with kidney or black beans. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion