Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled kalbi

Grilled kalbi

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I've been meaning to try my hand at making kalbi (korean marinated short ribs). When I saw that Costco had started selling short ribs, I quickly bought some:

I wanted to try something a little different, and decided to dry age the ribs:

Short ribs after 21 days in a dry age bag:

The short ribs got trimmed:

The meat smelled sweet, and had a very firm, waxy texture. I had to fry up a piece:

The morsel of short rib meat was very tender, with deep, beefy undertones. I didn't even need salt.

The short ribs were thinly sliced, added to a store bought kalbi marinade, vacuum sealed in a food savor bag, and marinated for 48 hours:

The meat was threaded onto skewers for ease of flipping on the grill, as I correctly guessed that thinly sliced, dry aged meat cooks within the blink of an eye:

The kalbi fresh off the grill:

Prior to tossing the meat on the grill, I finished cooking some jasmine rice:

I served the kalbi in a butter leaf lettuce wrap, filled with the jasmine rice, and topped off with diced green onions:

I loved the way the marinade, which was somewhat sweet with notes of saltiness and heat, carmelized into a nice saucey coating for the meat. The dry aged kalbi had a rich, beefy flavor, and combined with the sweet smelling, floral essense of the jasmine rice, this meal was a true delight. This will definitely not be the last time I make this.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Beautiful! I can taste it from here! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Yes ma'am! That looks heavenly. Beautiful marbelization. My wife just ordered me some XL dry age bags last night. Think I'm going to dry age a whole bone in rib roast next for 45 days.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You sure do know how to bring the "wow factor," Smokin :D

I had some Hawaiian friends who grilled me up something that looked very much like that, and it was insanely tasty. I bet yours was too! :D

Oh, and though I wish I could say the United States, in my assessment, the best quality rice in the world comes from Thailand or Vietnam, so I definitely appreciate what you have there.
Got beer???

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

What? No smoked dessert? I am so disappointed in you S'Gal! :wink: Just kidding. The short ribs looks amazing. Great job.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

SG, that beef looks exquisite and judging by your slices I'm guessing the Costco ribs are cut English style. Did you buy the marinade at Costco as well? I'll have to keep my eyes open for some the next time I'm in a larger Madison supermarket.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Great looking post smokin' gal. Like Griffin I was surprised when I got to the end of the pictures and there was no amazing looking dessert. But if those ribs were as good as they looked you probably don't have room left for dessert.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
SG, that beef looks exquisite and judging by your slices I'm guessing the Costco ribs are cut English style. Did you buy the marinade at Costco as well? I'll have to keep my eyes open for some the next time I'm in a larger Madison supermarket.

They were English cut. The marinade was purchased at a QFC (Kroger's in many areas). I'd recommend making the marinade from scratch next time, as the ingredients are pretty simple based on online receipes.

jfm0830 wrote:
Like Griffin I was surprised when I got to the end of the pictures and there was no amazing looking dessert. But if those ribs were as good as they looked you probably don't have room left for dessert.

I seriously ate almost all that meat shown in the pics. I mean just totally pigged out. It was just too tasty to leave anything for leftovers, lol. The only thing I had room for after that meal was a nap.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That looks so authentic SG!!
I have to look for these short ribs at Costco.
Awesome meal as usual!

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

smokin'gal wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

They were English cut. The marinade was purchased at a QFC (Kroger's in many areas). I'd recommend making the marinade from scratch next time, as the ingredients are pretty simple based on online receipes.

jfm0830 wrote:
Like Griffin I was surprised when I got to the end of the pictures and there was no amazing looking dessert. But if those ribs were as good as they looked you probably don't have room left for dessert.

I seriously ate almost all that meat shown in the pics. I mean just totally pigged out. It was just too tasty to leave anything for leftovers, lol. The only thing I had room for after that meal was a nap.

Nice job, smokin' gal.

But with regard to online recipes, have all of you forgotten about the author of the book that this site is based on? :twisted:

Steven's got an excellent one in several of his books (notably BBQ USA) and I've found that a lot of online recipes are just variations of it. But here's a fabulous one from his Primal Grill show that I use the most:
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=82&EpisodeID=15
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion