Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sausage & Mushroom Quiche

Sausage & Mushroom Quiche

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I wanted to try something different today & I had a whole bunch off eggs and some leftover cheese from some recent pizza cooks. To me this said quiche. I also wanted to try my hand at making my own pie crust. Both recipes came from the Big Green Egg Cookbook. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

The pie dough used a few simple ingredients: All-purpose flour, shortening, unsalted butter cut into cubes, water & table salt.

Step 1 was to put the flour, table salt & shortening in the bowl of the food processor & pulse to combine.

The cubed unsalted butter is added next

The food processor is pulsed until the mix has the consistency of corn meal.

The the water is added, 1 tablespoon at a time until there is a ball of dough formed in the bowl of the food processor. Then the dough is turned out & pressed into a disc. This disc of dough gets refrigerated for a minimum of 30 minutes.

The dough disc is pulled out of the fridge 15 minutes before you intend to use it.

The dough disc has been rolled out and placed in the pie dish. Unfortuanately I dropped my 9” pie dish recently and this is the nearest thing I could find, which was a 9 1/2” pie dish. This meant I couldn’t trim & fold over the edge of the pie crust.

Meanwhile the quiche used: Eggs, ground sausage, diced mushrooms, Monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced scallions, ricotta cheese, extra sharp cheddar cheese, baking powder, heavy cream, butter, all purpose flour, grated parmesan-reggiano cheese, cream cheese, Kosher salt & black pepper.

The ground pork is being sauted in unsalted butter over medium heat.

After the sausage is browned, the mushrooms are cooked until softened.

After the mushrooms are softened the mixture is receives black pepper and the mixture gets mixed thoroughly.

The next step is to use the mixer to combine some of the ingredients.

The cream cheese, ricotta cheese, flour, baking powder & salt are mixed together.

Next the eggs are added one at a time and mixed thoroughly beofre adding the next egg.

After the last egg was added and mixed in, the bowl was pulled off the mixer.

The other ingredients were folded in once the bowl was off the mixer.

The quiche mixture is poured into the pie crust.

The quiche is now on the Egg which has been preheated to 350. The pie plate goes directlyon the plate setter which has been installed legs down.

The Egg held rock steady at 350 for the entire 50 minutes of the cook.

I checked on the quiche at 35 minutes, the time called for in the recipe, and it was still not done. A short wood skewer inserted into the quiche came back moist and with liquid egg on it. I kept the quiche on the grill for another 15 minutes total.

The quiche rested for 10 minutes before I cut into it. The house smelled wonderful and I had all I could do to keep from just cutting into it without letting it rest.

mmmm, finally the wait was up and I could cut into it.

The quiche was cooked through but yet was nice & moist.

The bottom of the crust was a nice golden brown.

A cross sectional view shows how loaded with ingredients this quiche was. I must say this was probably as good as the best quiches I had in Montreal & Paris. It was definitely the most flavorful quiche I’ve ever had. I could even taste a little bit of smoke flavor from the lump charcoal.

I am extremely pleased at my first attempts at both pie crust & quiche. Hopefully it will only get better from here.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Drrrroooooling!!! :shock: That looks amazing! I'm going to do this recipe this weekend. I almost have everything in the house already anyways. Thanks for the post!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Dyal. Like you I had everything on hand but the sausage.

Jim

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Whoa,... what an ambitious undertaking! :shock: Sheer beauty Master Jim! :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 am
Griffin well done
well done

Real men can eat quiche and you just proved it. The rate you are going, Jim, you are going to run out of recipes in the BGE Cookbook before the year is out. I don't recall seeing that recipe, but its been awhile since I've looked. I'll admit, I probably would have been lazy and used store bought pie crust. Never made one from scratch myself. Another great cook.....you're starting to make the rest of us look bad. :x :wink: :D

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks gents!.

Griffin:
Since I got my stand mixer in July I've been learning to make cakes, they have all been in the oven until I got my Egg in August. I wanted to switch to pies and this was the perfect excuse t try making my own pie crust. It wasn't that much work or hard (at least this recipe). As for the quiche same thing there, I had a bunch of eggs and some leftover cheeses so a quiche was a natural. The quiche is in the section of the book called Egghead recipes which is separate from the rest of the book. There is also a separate Grillmaster section (or some name like that) with recipes from chefs.

As for the real men don't eat quiche thing: I am fine with that, it just means more quiche for me.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Outstanding! Looks like you really nailed the crust and that's quite a hearty filling.

If it was me and I had to put a 9" recipe into a 9-1/2" pan I'd do the math to figure out how much extra of each ingredient I'd need, but fractional eggs can be a pain. :wink:

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 am
Griffin well done
well done

I said real men CAN eat quiche. Mrs. G makes up some pretty good ones from time to time. Guess I need to convince her to cook on on the Egg next time.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys!

Brad:
I actually didn't have trouble with the filling there was enough of that. I was a little generous when I was cutting up And measuring out some of the ingredients, the problem was the pie crust which, like you say, has issues with fractional eggs.

Griffin:
I know exactly what you meant and I wasn't taking exception to that. All I was adding was anyone that does have that other attitude just means more quiche for me.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion