Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion TEXAS-Sized Raisins - Better known as Dates

TEXAS-Sized Raisins - Better known as Dates

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
tex_toby well done
well done

My old friend beercuer turned me onto dates a few years back. I had never seen one, yet alone tasted one. He sent some my way and I immediately fell in love. My first cook with them was oatmeal/date cookies. What a hit! Anyways, here is a pork loin I butterflied and stuffed with cream cheese and dates. DEFINITELY a keeper!. Thanks for the inspiration, bc!

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Alleluia! that roast looks heavenly, Tex! And what an ingenious idea!-- inspired, glorious, awesome. I am delighted that you enjoy the dates so. :D
Got beer???

Dyal_SC well done
well done

What a work of art! 8) Nicely done, tex! I bet the cream cheese was awesome in the pork loin. And I can never roll mine up as pretty as yours.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jfm0830 well done
well done

Wow :shock: !! That is really cool and you are a better man than I when it comes to weaving the bacon. I would never have the patience to do that weave with the bacon. Hope it tasted as good as it looked. Amazing!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Regardless of the filling that's a great loin-stuffing tutorial, Tex!

Since apples are a pretty common - maybe even the most common - fruit to associate with pork, how do the sweetness of the dates compare?

tex_toby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Regardless of the filling that's a great loin-stuffing tutorial, Tex!

Since apples are a pretty common - maybe even the most common - fruit to associate with pork, how do the sweetness of the dates compare?

The dates are sweet, but not TOO sweet once cooked. They compliment the pork quite nicely. I like to try different types of stuffings out. Never done apples, but I may now!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

smokin'gal well done
well done

That looks marvelous! I would definitely request a slice or two if I ate pork.

Return to General Discussion