Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Franklin Barbecue, Austin, TX

Franklin Barbecue, Austin, TX

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I got in line at 9:30 this morning since I heard the line can get crazy at Franklin. I was very pleased when I got there and only one person was waiting.

After I got there, the line gradually got bigger and bigger and by the time the doors opened at 11, the line was already wrapped around the building. They at least have misters set up to keep those in the sun cooled down.

Sorry the next pic is kinda blurry, I took it while I was walking. I was debating on getting the Tipsy Texan Sandwich, which is a chopped brisket sandwich topped with sausage. But I instead went with the 2 meat plate.... Had to get the Fatty Brisket and Sausage with potato salad and cole slaw...

I didn't get any pork ribs, but I snapped a pic of them that the girl ahead of me ordered.

And I had to get a Big Red Soda to go with...never had one before.

This brisket was absolutely fantastic. So moist and just the right amount of smoke. The sausage was unbelievable too. Pure heaven.

The brisket had a great bark. Someone in line told me that they simply rub their briskets down with Salt and Pepper. Whatever they do, they've truly perfected it.

Definitely worth the wait. But I hear on Saturdays that they can have upwards of 300 people in line! :shock: I thank those of you on this forum who recommended getting there early.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, does all that barbecue look good!!

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

Glad you were able to get there early and get some. I still have not had the pleasure. Salt and pepper is what I've heard.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 am
Vitalogy medium-rare
medium-rare

A friend and his wife from work went last weekend. Apparently, the trick is to call 3 days ahead and place your order. Then you can bypass the line of people when they open at 11 and walk right in and get your order. I guess that works unless you want to stay and eat there. They brought me some brisket, and even two days later heated up in the microwave, that was some of the best brisket I've ever had. Salt & pepper is what I heard too. Similar to Louis Mueller BBQ, S&P with oak for smoke and that's it.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Just following up on Dyals post. I went to Franklins on Thursday last week. I got there a little later then he did and was standing a little further back in line

I wasn't as fortunate with the sun. Just after the doors opened it dumped on us

Random pics of the inside

His rig

I ordered- Brisket, Sausage, Pulled pork, Ribs, Slaw, Beans and a couple local brews

The brisket was amazing. Well worth the wait. From the time I showed up to the time i walked out with our "to go" order was 2.5 hours. Well worth the wait for the brisket

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I also hit up Rudys after a round of golf. The brisket was not as good, but they still had lots of food at 4pm and no wait!

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice reports, Wolf! All the food looks good but Franklin's brisket looks really good!

The last time I had a Lone Star was over 30 years ago and it wasn't too good. I hope it's either changed since then or the sign at Franklin's means they pay you $2 for each one you drink. :lol:

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Return to Best BBQ Joint