Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Piri Piri Wangs

Piri Piri Wangs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Grilled these up for the game on Saturday. I've posted these before, as well as a few other people, including jfm0830 and Griffin, so I won't explain them....but the recipe can be found here:

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_detai ... isodeID=37

They are dang good.

I like to grill mine indirect at around 375-400 deg f dome temp.

Some good eatin'...these will most definitely be on the menu for the Eggtoberfest. I think Griffin made these for the Eggfest he attended in Texas, but I'm thinking that most of ATL will not have had the pleasure of trying these yet. So on the menu they will be! :mrgreen:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Yes Yoda Dyal: On the menu they will be. A hit they will be too I believe. :wink: Those really are outstanding looking. With all of the wing posts around here lately, I've definitely got a wing itch that I have to scratch. I am curious about a couple of things though: At the temperature you cook them at indirectly, did you get any kind of a crispy skin? Also did you throw on any woodchips, and what did you use?

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, Jimbo the Hutt! :mrgreen: :wink: Yep, I get a crispy outer texture eventually....they take about an hour or so....maybe a few minutes longer, I don't really time it. The piri piri wings never really get a really crispy "skin" though. I think it's due to the marinade. But I do get very crispy skin with other types of hot wings....especially when I air dry them, dust them with corn starch, or both. And I've done them direct, indirect and direct with a raised grid. I always resort back to the indirect method at around a 375-400 dome temp....it works for me, it's hassle free, and I get great results. I don't add any smoke to the piri piri wings. I love the flavor as is.....sometimes I prefer no smoke on certain recipes, and this is one of them. Probably a personal preference though, but everyone is different. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

May the farce be with you Dyal! The reason I asked about the crispy skin was I don't recall ever getting it on my Piri Piri. Wings, so I was wondering if yours turned out any different. But it sounds like our results are similar. All I know is they are darned good wings. Definitely in my top three favorite wing recipes.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:57 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I've already used this line today, but the same feeling comes to me again-- Get in my belly! Way to go, Dyal! Them wings look irresistably good. You and Griffin got me goin' on wings now. On my to do list.
Got beer???

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great looking wings, Jedi Dyal! Funny how we both did Piri-piri Saturday. It's been forever since I've done them, but they are Mrs. G's favorite wings and she requested them. I've never really been able to achieve crispy skin with them either. I believe its due to the marinade. I did do something a bit different this time....I took the tip of a small knife and "poked" each wing a few times, hoping the marinade would penetrate deeper (and to hopefully speed them up because lack of planning did not let me marinate them as long as I wanted). Not sure it really did much, though. Still good eats. Jedi Griffin out.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal, did you use the full amount of cilantro the glaze recipe calls for? Or did you scale it back? I don't mind a little cilantro but it doesn't take much to be too much. :wink:

I'm pretty sure the wings are in one of Steven's books, too. Just can't remember which one at the moment...

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
...I'm pretty sure the wings are in one of Steven's books, too. Just can't remember which one at the moment...
Planet Barbecue. But even better than that they're available on the Primal Grill website. But for those who don't have it, you really should get the Primal Grill cookbook, lots of great recipes in there. Here is the link:

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=149&EpisodeID=37

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:22 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Planet Barbecue...correct Jim is! ;)

SC, I never really measure the cilantro. I just eyeball it and break off enough leaves to what appears like a 1/4 cup to me. The flavors from the ginger, lemon juice, garlic and other ingredients keep the cilantro from dominating the recipe.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion