Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion finishing in the oven

finishing in the oven

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:52 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

i'm a cheapskate, and the only thing i splurge on is buying Kingsford charcoal (except for my "big toys", of course :D ). So i have a process i use when smoking meat for extended periods.
I always wrap anything i'm smoking in foil the last few hours--so my theory is: why waste good charcoal? If the meat is wrapped in foil then obviously the wood chunks/chips are not doing any good, much less the charcoal. So as soon as I wrap the meat in charcoal I transfer it to a prewarmed oven at 200-250 (whatever temp i've been smoking it at) and finish it off for the last few hours.
I'm sure if i ever broke down the math on this i wouldn't be saving much (if any) money, but does anyone else do this?

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've had to do this out of necessity. On occasion my smoker will only warm to 170-190 degrees and won't heat up enough to fully cook the meat (due to wind or cold weather). If this happens I will place the meat into the oven to bring it temperature. I, however, prefer to finish it in the smoker when possible.

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:02 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Ugh! Sacrilege! :cry: Only under extreme circumstances should you anger the BBQ gods in such manner! :shock:

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:28 am
dkirn well done
well done

Smoked meat has such a great taste I want to take advantage of it as much as possible - I would never transfer something from my smokey pit to a regular oven!

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:39 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Thrroff admits to sacrilege at times. I figure that you are going to get all the smoke penetratioin you are going to get after about 5 hours with a brisket or port butt. Wrapping the meat and throwing it in the oven saves one from tending the fire.

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:05 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

yeah, sacrilege i know :oops:
but that's what i'm saying--if the thing is wrapped in foil, obviously it's not going to get any more smoke to it, you know?

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Let me back up, and examine the problem. Why are you wrapping things in foil? The only reason I know of for wrapping in foil is if things are getting too brown too quick. That should be a temporary one time fix. In that case the solution isn't the foil but in adjusting the fire for the future. If you are so worried about burning charcoal and woodchips use less. It seems to me that by fiddling the other variables there is no need for foil and no need for for the oven. The grill is where the fun is at!

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:37 pm
GrillGuy rare
rare

hi Grand Scale,
i wrap meat in foil the last few hours to keep the meat from drying out, and to make it more moist and tender.
I definitely agree that it's more fun to do it in the smoker, but i get tired of going through 40-50 lbs of charcoal a week.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:26 pm
chagan well done
well done

I wrap MYSELF in foil before I barbecue- this way everyone is happy.
Last edited by chagan on Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:36 pm

At least it's not cellophane. "Shiver". :shock: Spare me the imagery!

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:40 pm
chagan well done
well done

No, that would be silly....... cellophane is reserved for the cats.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think Chagan is losing it...the holidays (of propane fumes) must be getting to him! :wink:

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:24 am
hickory pete well done
well done

GrillGuy,

I know this isn't the way I would do it, but we were invited to a dinner that included ribs from the grill. The person who gave the dinner Pre-cooked the ribs in the oven to tenderize them, then put them on the grill afterwards. Since I was invited, I was not about to criticize, and quite honestly, they were delicious. Everyone has their methods.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Pete,

That's "knowledge" and "WISDOM" at it's best!

Return to General Discussion