Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pepper Crusted Rib-Eye with White Sauce

Pepper Crusted Rib-Eye with White Sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I got my work done early on Monday and made a quick dash to the store to get a steak to grill up. One of the reasons for this is getting the Egg up to 650 and grilling a steak woud generate lots of smoke and I could see how my new grill gazebo vents. The recipe I had picked was called Pepper-Crusted Rib-Eyes with White Sauce from the BGE Cookbook. The recipe called for a bone in rib-eye, but when I got to the butcher I found I could buy a Choice grade bone-in or a Prime grade boneless rib-eye. I picked Prime grade. Better eating and more fat meant more smoke. The other substitution I made was brandy for the cognac called for. This was actually mentioned in the recipe as an ok thing to do.

I really believe this recipe has a serious flaw. They have you make the sauce at 650 degrees which is the same temp you cook the steak. I didn’t misread the recipe. It clearly says preheat the Egg to 650 degrees. Add the Dutch Oven or a 12” cast iron skillet and preheat for 10 minutes. This couldn’t be more clear, but IMHO it couldn’t be more wrong. I’ll leave the pictures and captions below to show what happened.

Several of you were asking about the ventilation of the grill gazebo so I included some pictures and commentary below the steak pictures.

The brandy cream sauce used brandy, butter, cayenne pepper, mushrooms, finely chopped shallots & garlic, heavy cream, kosher salt & black pepper.

I pulled the rib-eye out of the fridge 30 minutes early and seasoned it with Kosher salt & black pepper about 15 minutes before it went on the grill.

Everything is out at the grill which has been preheated to 650 degrees and the cast iron skillet has been preheating for the last 10 minutes,

The mushrooms are being sauteed in melted butter. I immediately began to question using 650 degrees for the sauce because everything was cooking up faster than the recipe said they would. I had to move fast to avoid burning everything.

the mushrooms are done.

The onion and shallots were sauteed with the mushroom.

The brandy has just been added and has ignited. I wore a real long glove when pouring brandy onto this hot pan. The flames are too pale blue to pick up.

The brandy has burned off and the heavy cream has been added. It was stirred and then the pan was pulled off the grill and brought inside to cool. The finished sauce was not white after it cooled, but looked like the duxelles paste you put on Beef Wellington.

The rib-eye is on the 650 degree grill. My apologies for the white balance on a couple of these grill photos-I was seeing how well bouncing my flash off the roof of the grill gazebo worked. The answer was not well at all, I will need to get a softbox for the flash.

The steak cooked for a total of 6 1/2 minutes before going into the Kitchen for a 5 minute rest.

The steak has rested for 5 minutes and is served with some shoestring fries. My version of the brandy cream sauce looked nothing like a cream sauce which was bad, but it looked like duxelle from a Beef Wellington which can taste good.

I tried what I had for sauce and it actually tasted like duxelle so I still used it, and it was very good.

The steak was a medium rare bordering on rare. This is how I like my steak, but if I was cooking for others I would have kept it on the grill just a tad longer.

The steak was tender and juicy, it had a crispy outer crust which was highly pepper flavored.

This first picture shows the 3 ink berry bushes I bought and planted Friday to eventually act as a visual screen for the grills. This may be the last work I do on the grill gazebo until the Spring.

The ink berry bush is an evergreen bush that is fine with shade and tolerates snow well. The bushes will grow to 4 foot high x 3 foot wide and can be trimmed like a hedge.

I had zero smoke issues with the new gazebo. In calm situations (shown here) the smoke rose up and most of it went out the open gable end and the rest went up the roof and out the vent. There weren’t any clouds of lingering smoke.

The BGE and smoker are on the side of the grill gazebo where the prevailing wind will blow the smoke right out the side. If there is any kind of wind it appears all of the smoke blows out the open side. I described how calm vented in the caption above. When the wind is blowing towards the BGE & smoker some of the smoke goes out the open gable end and the rest of it travels up the roof and out the ridge vent. I didn’t see any of it collecting under the roof. I’ll have to wait for a humid day where the smoke is easier to see to verify this is the case. But so far I am pleased and it is better than my EZ-Up which I used for the last 7 years. And this structure is year round vs. April thru November for the EZ-Up.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Get in my belly!-- to borrow a line from an "Austin Powers" character. That is one most commendable cook, Jim. Man that steak looks gorgeous! I really like your gazebo too. I wonder, did you find that high heat burned the seasoning off of your CI skillet? :D
Got beer???

Griffin well done
well done

Looks great, Jimbo! I question a bunch of the temps and techniques that are included in that book. There are some (I think one for hamburgers) that call for you searing them and then closing the top and bottom vent and letting it dwell till it reaches your temp. I would imagine the burger dripping onto hot coals, generating smoke and steam and it not having anywhere to go. That does not sound like good eats. But your steak looks great. Love the picture of the bite on the fork. I've been playing around with camera settings lately. Taking it off auto and trying different aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Somedays I wish I could take a photography class.

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks beercuer! As always you're too kind.
beercuer wrote:
I wonder, did you find that high heat burned the seasoning off of your CI skillet? :D
Nope. That skillet was given to me by my father-in-law and he's probably had it for 40 years now. I think it seasoned for life. Frankly I was more worried about using high heat with the cast iron grill grate being new.

I sprayed the cooking grate with some oil the first time around and have given a few light sprays off and on, but other than that I really haven't done anything to season it other than cooking with it. That seems to be working just fine and if it ain't broke…

Jim
2 Large BGEs

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Griffin,
Griffin wrote:
..I question a bunch of the temps and techniques that are included in that book.
Well now that you mention it I was actually going to make the ham steak recipe in there with a cherry cola sauce. Isn't that the recipe you had trouble with being way too hot? I love ham steak so I've been thinking of making it. But every time I do, I think about you and I keep meaning to ask you if that was the recipe they gave you a hard time? Did you follow the ingredient amounts for the jalapenos? And also did you leave in too many of the seeds which can add a little bit of heat?

Griffin wrote:
I've been playing around with camera settings lately. Taking it off auto and trying different aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Somedays I wish I could take a photography class.
The best thing I ever did was start using bounce flash for any indoor pictures. My camera is a point-and-shoot, but it's the highest end point-and-shoot that Canon makes. One of the features it has is a hot shoe for detachable flash. The advantage of the detachable flash is it also has a pivoting head. So when I'm taking my food pictures indoors, I bounce the flash off the ceiling which gives you this nice white diffuse light. You don't get that direct, harsh light like you do when the flashes pointed straight at what you're taking a picture of. Plus when you start getting close the flash doesn't overshoot it like it does when you're pointing at the object. Also It cuts down the amount of reflections on silverware and other reflective surfaces. I used to be able to do it outdoors when I was using a white EZ-Up. Now that I have my girl gazebo I'm I have to get something to mount on the flash to simulate the same effect. But honestly I think what improved my photography the most was starting to use bounce flash.

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Large BGEs

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fantastic-looking steak, Jim! Are you going to try the sauce again but at a lower temperature?

jfm0830 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Fantastic-looking steak, Jim! Are you going to try the sauce again but at a lower temperature?
Thanks Brad. Yes I am going to try it again. But I'm thinking I will do it indoors on the cast-iron skillet on the stove. Doing it on the Egg doesn't really bring anything special or unique to the table and I won't have to worry about finishing the sauce at a lower temperature and then having to crank the egg up to 650. I'll do the sauce indoors while the grill is warming up to 650 and then I'll whole the sauce is very low heat on the stove. I'm going to look up the beef Wellington recipe I did and see what temperature they cook the duxelles.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

EddieK1376 well done
well done

Steak looks great and I have not had a steak in a LONG time!

Griffin well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Thanks Griffin,
Griffin wrote:
..I question a bunch of the temps and techniques that are included in that book.
Well now that you mention it I was actually going to make the ham steak recipe in there with a cherry cola sauce. Isn't that the recipe you had trouble with being way too hot? I love ham steak so I've been thinking of making it. But every time I do, I think about you and I keep meaning to ask you if that was the recipe they gave you a hard time? Did you follow the ingredient amounts for the jalapenos? And also did you leave in too many of the seeds which can add a little bit of heat?

Now that you mention it, I have no idea. I didn't record anything from that cook so I don't have the details. I want to say it called for red jalapenos, and I couldn't find any, so I went with green. Not sure if I used the amount called for or cut the number back and no clue about the seeds. I followed the recipe spot on except for the peppers. That's all I remember. I never did try and remake it. That's a shame, need to give it another go.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Thanks beercuer! As always you're too kind.
beercuer wrote:
I wonder, did you find that high heat burned the seasoning off of your CI skillet? :D
Nope. That skillet was given to me by my father-in-law and he's probably had it for 40 years now. I think it seasoned for life. Frankly I was more worried about using high heat with the cast iron grill grate being new.

I sprayed the cooking grate with some oil the first time around and have given a few light sprays off and on, but other than that I really haven't done anything to season it other than cooking with it. That seems to be working just fine and if it ain't broke…

Jim

Amazing. I am glad you avoided such disappointment, Jim. :D
Got beer???

tex_toby well done
well done

I could hide that steak, NO PROBLEM! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

jfm0830 well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
I could hide that steak, NO PROBLEM!
Actually would have a big problem. With me :wink:
Seriously thanks.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Dyal_SC well done
well done

That is one seriously great looking ribeye! I made ribeyes Sunday night actually...but it was nothing fancy, and I've posted ribeye pix several times, so I didn't take any pix. I really need to get cracking on the recipes in the BGE cookbook....a lot of my grilling lately has been repeats for the most part, so I'm due for some new recipes.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jstewart well done
well done

Jim,

I love me some good ribeye and that sure looks gooooooooooooooood :D :D I haven't fixed any for a while and I think that perhaps this coming weekend .......... Glad to hear that the ventilation worked out for you.

Thanks for sharing,
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

smokin'gal well done
well done

That is one beautiful steak, Jim. Perfectly cooked. Nice job.

Next

Return to General Discussion