Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My Pork Chops with Whiskey BBQ Sauce

My Pork Chops with Whiskey BBQ Sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 am
Griffin well done
well done

Jim posted these last week and I knew that I had to try them out for myself. I won't get into much detail since Jim covered most of it, but I did do mine a bit different. I cooked mine at about 475 direct for about 8 minutes per side, turning 90 deg halfway through and pulled them when they hit 140 (not quite exactly 16 minutes). I did not do any portion of this cook indirect as he did.

Rubbed and ready to go

Resting

Plated up with Bush's Texas Ranchero beans and some corn on the cob.

I'm not really sold on this recipe. Maybe if you like steak sauce, you'd like this more than I did. I'm not a fan of steak sauce, so I actually had to go buy some. By itself, I didn't care for the sauce at all. When paired up with the chops, the flavor of the sauce and the ingredients of the rub worked well together. Not sure I would make it again, think I'll save the bourbon for the cook (me). Mrs. G took one taste of the sauce and refused to put any on her plate. Not everything is for everybody, I guess.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Did both of you like the chops without the sauce? They sure look nice enough!

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks tasty, Grif! I love a good bourbon BBQ sauce.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Interesting contrast & interesting results. One of the great things about the Egg is all the different temperatures and cooking methods you can use. I think there were two differences between what you tried and what I tried: Cooking method & homemade vs storebought sauce. By cooking the ribs at a higher temperature I think I got more of a crust on them and I loved the outer bark. I am guessing by finishing indirect like I did I may have gotten a moister inside too. One of the reasons I picked this recipe is so I could test out the half moon raised grid for direct/indirect cooking (but I digress). As for the BBQ sauce, this recipe's sauce was superior to the average store bought version and did pair well with the pork. A couple of the guys were dunking their fries in it too.

Sorry the results weren't to your liking, but that is why there are so many recipes out there. There is something for everyone.

Jim

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 am
Griffin well done
well done

Jim - I did make the sauce. I don't know what went into yours or if the recipe I found matches it, but mine called for 1/3 cup steak sauce in it and to me it was just too much, but then again I don't really like A-1. Oh well, always fun experimenting.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Jim - I did make the sauce. I don't know what went into yours or if the recipe I found matches it, but mine called for 1/3 cup steak sauce in it and to me it was just too much, but then again I don't really like A-1. Oh well, always fun experimenting.
Whoops I misunderstood the part about sauce. That sounds about right as far as how much steak sauce was in the barbecue sauce. There was also about the same amount of brown sugar, ketchup and Dijon mustard as well as the whiskey. Also was a little bit of garlic powder too. But you're probably right, if you don't like A1 sauce there may be enough of it coming through, despite the other ingredients, so that you nahcolite the resulting sauce. My recipe didn't specifically call for it A1 sauce, it called for steak sauce and A1 is generally what I use in recipes. Interestingly enough the folks at America's test kitchen's recently ran a test on steak sauces and A1 is now in third place. The first place sauce surprised me a little bit: it was Heinz 57 sauce, which I actually do like but I almost consider it a general-purpose sauce as opposed to specifically a steak sauce.

Jim

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 am
Griffin well done
well done

The one I followed called for steak sauce as well, but I remembered your picture had A-1 so that is what I went with when buying it.

Return to General Discussion